Honi Soit Writing Competition

MyUni launch garners mixed reception

On April 2nd, the government finally released MyUniversity – a website where visitors can compare different universities and university courses and find important information about tertiary education in Australia. According to The Age, Chris Evans, the Tertiary Education Minister, said the website would “help drive universities to lift performance and quality”, like the government MySchool…

usu logo

On April 2nd, the government finally released MyUniversity – a website where visitors can compare different universities and university courses and find important information about tertiary education in Australia. According to The Age, Chris Evans, the Tertiary Education Minister, said the website would “help drive universities to lift performance and quality”, like the government MySchool website aims to do for primary and secondary education.

The website compares three different types of statistics:

• Stats on each university (e.g. enrolment numbers, staff-to-student ratio, staff demographics, etc)
  • Stats on each course at each university (e.g. Overall satisfaction rate with IT, number of Arts applicants, number of part time domestic Law students, etc)
  • Stats on each university campus (e.g. whether each campus has a pool, free parking, number of sporting facilities, number of computers, etc)

Plans to build the website were first announced in 2010 at the annual Universities Australia conference. MyUniversity is being marketed as a twin to MySchool, a government website which lets students, parents and teachers analyse data from schools across Australia. Users can compare measurements for each school, including its average NAPLAN results and socio-economic status of parents. Both websites are spiritual succcessors to the FuelWatch and GroceryWatch websites promised by the ALP as one of their 2007 election policies.

Reception has been mixed, but overall an air of cautious optimism surrounds the website. National Union of Students president, Donherra Walmsley, told the Sydney Morning Herald that “We are pleased to see vital information such as student staff ratios and campus services included on the website,” Ms Walmsley said. But the organisation would “like to see a greater level of detail provided in both these areas,” she finished.

The front page of MyUni.gov.au

Head of Universities Australia, Belinda Robinson, welcomed greater transparency within the university community, but had concerns about the website’s accuracy. ”We don’t believe the … website is there yet, particularly in relation to attrition rates, staff-student ratios, the entry score cut-off search function, course mapping and searchability,” she said earlier this month.

When MySchools was first released it drew highly negative reactions, with the principal of Victoria’s top-performing school calling it a “crock” because it inappropriately lumped students of the same school into the same socio-economic status group. But with time the website was refined to address these issues. Similarly, it is hoped future versions of MyUniversity will be more comprehensive.

Australian Catholic University Vice-Chancellor, Greg Craven, called MyUniversity a “useful tool” but reminded people it was not the be-all and end-all of University analysis. ‘What really drives university selection is word of mouth. It’s not this sort of [MyUniversity] data … this thing [MyUniversity] will feed into that conversation, but it’s not going to replace that conversation in a million years.”