Sydney Gets Vivid

Drew Rooke was at the opening of Sydney’s most colourful fortnight: the Vivid Sydney festival of lights.

Sydney Opera House at the Vivid Sydney festival. Photo: Drew Rooke Sydney Opera House at the Vivid Sydney festival. Photo: Drew Rooke
Sydney Opera House at the Vivid Sydney festival. Photo: Drew Rooke

Sydney may look a little interesting at night for the next two weeks, as Vivid Festival switches on its lights for another year.

The city is transformed each night into a cartoon world where spectacular light installations are projected onto famous buildings and landmarks and light sculptures decorate the Harbour foreshore.

Multi-award winning German design collective, URBANSCREEN, has used light projection and motion graphics to create their sophisticated and beautiful work which is projected onto the Sydney Opera House. But the real visual standout can be found at Customs House.

The heritage building at Circular Quay is the canvas for the animated and extremely colourful work ‘City Life’ created by Australian light projection company, The Electric Canvas – a miniature three-dimensional city is literally created in front of you.

Yet, this festival is not just about wonderful light projections, with some very notable musicians also playing as part of Vivid.

The opening night saw the Ceremonial Orchestra play alongside Florence and the Machine for an intimate and engaging performance, and this Saturday, the Opera House’s concert hall will be taken over by world renowned electronic music producer, Amon Tobin, and his spectacular audio-visual show, ISAM.

Last year, the Guardian newspaper ranked the festival in the top ten global ideas festivals, and this year, Vivid is even more impressive. This festival really is putting Sydney on the global stage as a leader in creativity.

Get down to Vivid Festival before it closes on the 11th June. Simply take a stroll around the harbour, attend one of the many creative ideas sessions or dance away at the Future Classic Party this Friday or at Goodgod Dancetaria on Saturday.