Cartoon: Arts Student

The members of this species are all unique, individual, and completely indistinguishable from each other. They devote the majority of their time to subverting the dominant paradigm, a dangerous task that requires a high level of protective clothing; namely: skinny jeans, ironic t-shirts, Chuck Converse sneakers, and Buddy Holly glasses. They can often be spotted…

Illustration by Bryant Apolonio Illustration by Bryant Apolonio
Illustration by Bryant Apolonio

The members of this species are all unique, individual, and completely indistinguishable from each other. They devote the majority of their time to subverting the dominant paradigm, a dangerous task that requires a high level of protective clothing; namely: skinny jeans, ironic t-shirts, Chuck Converse sneakers, and Buddy Holly glasses. They can often be spotted all over the sandstone half of the campus noting down their many profound thoughts in their moleskin diaries and growing ironic facial hair.

They also tend to be very slow moving as they are normally weighed down by elaborate photography equipment, Apple products, and Euro-pop haircuts. However, their turgid pace provides them with ample opportunity to see the world differently, find themselves, and opine on the human condition.

They generally nest in the cafes lining Glebe Point Road or King Street and many second hand shops and community markets in the inner west have reported nasty Arts Student infestations. Friend one on Facebook and you are likely to be subjected to a deluge of invites to poetry readings, one-man/woman shows, and sonic immersion art installations.

Notable sub-variant: the Arts Student couple costumed in the style of a particular historical period such as the 50s or Stalinist Russia.

Check out the other students of campus