The Second Showdown – Biden vs Ryan

Biden is the definition of folksy, when the debate turned to Israel he said he’d known ‘Bebe’ personally for 29 years – Bebe being Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Biden has a winning smile and an ability to make you feel like he’s only talking to you. Whether it’s when he talks directly into…

Biden: the boss. Photo: Getty Biden: the boss. Photo: Getty
Biden: the boss. Photo: Getty

Biden is the definition of folksy, when the debate turned to Israel he said he’d known ‘Bebe’ personally for 29 years – Bebe being Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Biden has a winning smile and an ability to make you feel like he’s only talking to you. Whether it’s when he talks directly into the camera, or throws a punter’s camera to his secret service detail to take a photo on a rope-line.

Perhaps part of his compassion comes from the “bunch of stuff” he’s been through.

A few weeks after Biden was elected to the Senate in 1972, his wife and one-year-old son were killed when their car was hit by a truck. They were out Christmas shopping.

For his first years in the Senate, Biden was a single parent to his two other sons, who were critically injured in the accident.

The week before his debate, the media was focused on Obama’s poor performance and Romney’s momentum. After Biden’s performance, the narrative has shifted. Focus is on his energetic performance, and the amount of different ways he claimed Ryan wasn’t telling the truth. Malarkey seems to be a press favorite.

It was a boost disillusioned Democrats needed after Obama’s poor showing. However, if the President again fails to step up in the second debate next Tuesday, it’s a boost that may be short lived.