A Christmas Caucus: Laughter the best medicine for political despair

Georgia Kriz and Justin Pen haven’t laughed since September.

newchristmas

As the Abbott Government approaches its three-month anniversary in office, much of the country is engaging in some seriously bemused head-scratching. Diplomatic disasters, policy confusions and rumours of disunity have plagued the Coalition since its emphatic electoral win in September, and recent polls suggest that voters aren’t impressed.

For folks who find themselves frustrated by Federal politics and struggling to make sense of an increasingly incomprehensible political landscape, an upcoming original production from the Sydney University Dramatic Society (SUDS) might be just the thing to bolster spirits this holiday season.

“A Christmas Caucus”, a sketch comedy show, will be performed for one night only at Hermann’s Bar on December 12.

Co-director and Sydney Uni graduate Michael Koziol promises that the show, collaboratively written and produced by its small cast and crew, will deliver high-quality political satire.

“The audience can expect just under an hour of raucous, politically incorrect lampooning that hopefully raises a few chuckles,” he said.

“The basic outline is that it is a political satire done as a parody of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Ebeneezer Scrooge is Tony Abbott, and he is visited by an ensemble cast of political characters from present day and times gone by.”

SUDS president Patrick Morrow welcomes the production. “Within [SUDS] there has been a tendency towards established works,” he said. “Looking at the past few years of what the society has put on, 2013 seemed more risk averse.”

“If nothing else, I would like to see a period free of trepidation from writers and directors over the next twelve months. 2014 marks the society’s 125th birthday, and I would like to ensure that we celebrate all kinds and facets of Student Theatre,” he said.

Koziol says he simply hopes that “A Christmas Caucus” will help bring light to what many feel to be a dark time.

“Satire is absolutely vital,” he said.

“If you can’t laugh at these people then you’d have to cry. And I think we need to keep laughing for the next three years, because that’s the only way we’re going to get through it.”

“A Christmas Caucus” will play at Hermann’s Bar on December 12. Tickets are $2 for ACCESS card holders, $3 for students, and $5 for general admission.