Fisher Library: new place to kick on

Georgia Behrens reports on the University library that’s open when Kings Cross closes.

library-hours

library-hours

Fisher Library has announced plans to grant University of Sydney students 24-hour access to certain library areas in 2014.

Students will have trial 24-hour access to a third-floor study space in Fisher from April this year, with plans to roll out further 24-hour spaces if the trial is successful.

University Librarian, Anne Bell, said University of Sydney libraries needed to adapt in order to provide permanent access to high-quality technology and study environments.

“Nowadays most Sydney University students have to work to support themselves or go on work experience placements during the day, so the ability to access study resources after hours is becoming increasingly important,” she said.

Bell, who previously worked in British university libraries, said that a majority of them provided permanent access to their facilities. She said that she was hoping to bring Sydney University libraries in line with this international standard.

“It’s a bit of a personal mission of mine to give Sydney students better access to study facilities after hours,” she said.

At this stage, there will be no access to stacks outside of normal opening hours due to cost and security concerns.

Current SRC President Jen Light said she was pleased that the University had agreed to provide students with better access to study facilities this year.

“Having a 24-hour access library is great for students. It’s an area which I feel Sydney University has been falling behind in,” she said.