If you say so, Marcobello

Dear Honi Soit, Originally I had composed about four pages to send to you this evening. Though after reality slapped my prose up something fierce, I learned that certain occasions ask for nothing less than to keep it simple, but not stupid. It doesn’t take genius to realise the age old notion of majority rule,…

honi-letter-yay

Dear Honi Soit,

Originally I had composed about four pages to send to you this evening. Though after reality slapped my prose up something fierce, I learned that certain occasions ask for nothing less than to keep it simple, but not stupid.

It doesn’t take genius to realise the age old notion of majority rule, but perhaps only in the presence of things that are really far away do we see with clarity. Writing those four pages, over the past few weeks I was within myself for a while. Wondering what I could take from distant shores (Venice, Milan, Florence, Beijing, New York) just to make it seem endearing enough to remember.

Nevertheless, as your schedule is one of high precedence, I will happily step outside my shadow (for both our sakes) to say that the process of writing was all worth two simple words. Thank you. Especially for pouring so much worth back into this irrefutable world.

As someone who has recently been devouring the online content, I offer my sincere congratulations, and hope that any and all following ventures deliver more than they can promise!  As I have addressed to BULL, if there is one thing I can safely write about, it’s that my twenty years have been ridden on a rolling wave of literature unmatched. So, along with them, I also thank for you (as a reader) for giving back to articles and words what they’ve been slowly losing, and that is funny, engaging, and unique stories. By writing and exposing pure gold within the minutes of the mundane you have given people the power to see the world through the words of a generation that will endure through the heart of time. And this isn’t just regurgitated praise, it is entirely with purpose for the black and white of Honi.

Though to gain a better understanding of what I am actually writing here, I’ll reference a man that was with me for the past nine months. His brief life changed the world, and ended through an incredibly powerful notion. Hopefully it is through the following that you can see an alignment of reasons for why, and hopefully from this direct thought that you may always continue to simply be:

What drove me? I think most creative people want to express appreciation for being able to take advantage of the work that’s been done by others before us. I didn’t invent the language or mathematics I use. I make little of my own food, none of my own clothes. Everything I do depends on other members of our species and the shoulders that we stand on. And a lot of us want to contribute something back to our species and to add something to the flow. It’s about trying to express something in the only way that most of us know how-because we can’t write Bob Dylan songs or Tom Stoppard plays. We try to use the talents we do have to express our deep feelings, to show our appreciation of all the contributions that came before us, and to add something to that flow. That’s what has driven me.” (Steve Jobs)

While there are obvious distinctions in context separating both Mr. Jobs and this occasion, I like to paraphrase his message in a way to say that it’s the people (and things) around us and within our lives that end up shaping our thoughts, desires, determination, and hearts (even if they aren’t physically with us). So if you ever need to be reminded of why you are doing whatever your doing, whether that’s in the slow or fast lane, regardless of how, or where, remember it is your efforts that have the ability to brighten a day, or even drive the most influential people of our world. Like Dylan, The Beatles, or Yo-Yo Ma were to Jobs. By simply being all that is you, the greatest of people in whatever field could come from anywhere. Never forget it.

If you ever feel despondent, or doubtful of what I’m writing (which is pretty easy to be) then may these words always be here as an affirmation of everything said so far. As living proof that even though people may not seem overtly appreciative or thankful at times, the memory and sense of reverence towards your efforts will always be in their hearts. And that is probably one of the best things anyone could ever ask for.

So with all this said, let me wrap it up by saying thank you for the fun, the laughter, and moments through your music that has helped to shape an appreciation for the things I now see today.

“You are the books that you read, the films you watch, the music you listen to, the people you meet, the dreams you have, and the conversations you engage in. You are what you take from these. You are the sound of the ocean, the breath of fresh air, the brightest light and the darkest corner. You are a collective of every experience you have had in your life. You are every single day. So drown yourself in a sea of knowledge and existence. Let the words run through your veins and the colours fill your mind.” (Unknown)

Mason Marcobello (Arts II)