The Manning Files – O-Week, Semester 1, 2014

A nod to hero and whistleblower, Chelsea Manning, and a notorious campus dive.

manning-files

manning-files

The Manning Files is where we bring you all the juicy tidbits of campus happenings. If you hear of something happening when it shouldn’t be, not happening where it should be, or even just a bloke on Eastern Avenue who you reckon looks a bit suss, throw us a line at editors@honisoit.com.

Squat with the BULLs

Over the summer, the Manning Files team discovered that the domain honisoit.com.au is, inexplicably, registered by the USU. Just to be clear, Honi Soit is funded and run by the SRC and has no ties whatsoever to the USU.

We don’t know why the USU wanted honisoit.com.au, but we do know that what they’ve done is known as cybersquatting. We also know that it’s against the rules of the AU registrar. The registrar website recommends that victims of cybersquatting file a complaint to the .au Dispute Resolution Policy— a “litigation-free way” of resolving cybersquatting issues.

But we don’t want to make a fuss. So, USU, we’ve got a deal for you. Recently— and entirely coincidentally, of course— we obtained bullmag.com. If you want to trade, give us a call.

CC stands for Corporate Club

The Sydney University Conservative Club has been busy spending up big for O-Week, but unlike other clubs, their dollars haven’t gone to t-shirts or lollies. Instead, they’re listed as a corporate stall, rather than a club, on the O-Week guide.

For the uninitiated, USU clubs and societies are provided with a free stall. However, outside organisations must pay for their O-Week exposure, with a regular stall costing a hefty $3450 at the corporate rate.

A source has informed the Manning Files that the Conservative Club was de-registered, which would bar them from obtaining a C&S O-Week stall. However, we remain in the dark about how the club could have covered such a large fee, despite peppering club President Chaneg Torres with requests for comment. More as it comes.

A MOO-ve online for BULL?

The bright covers of BULL magazine almost met an end last year when a proposal was put to board to move the publication exclusively online. All six of the 2014 editors supported the proposal. However, it was struck down by the USU Board of Directors.

“The Board determined that we wanted more information on and a broader understanding of the long-term direction of the BULL as a publication before approving a proposal as significant as this,” said USU President Hannah Morris.

A review into the future of BULL is now scheduled to take place, with a recommendation to be put before Board by the end of the year.