USU leaves Muggles short-changed

Hi Honi, I’m writing to express my disappointment at the Quidditch Society’s $5000 grant. Not at the grant itself; I’m sure Quidditch is a worthwhile exercise for those individuals, in the same way debating or SUDS is for other students.  I wish them all the best at the Quidditch World Cup and hope they raise the rest…

potterbroom

Hi Honi,

I’m writing to express my disappointment at the Quidditch Society’s $5000 grant. Not at the grant itself; I’m sure Quidditch is a worthwhile exercise for those individuals, in the same way debating or SUDS is for other students.  I wish them all the best at the Quidditch World Cup and hope they raise the rest of the money they need.

No, I’m disappointed at how seemingly easy it was for the USU to throw $5000 at this cause, when they couldn’t give Sydney University SHADES a measly $200 [from our regular yearly budget] to fund an event for the sole purpose of developing USyd’s queer wom*n community.

Anyone who has been to a SHADES party, a Queer Collective meeting, or seen a Queer Revue will know that the gender imbalance is a huge problem within our queer community.  So, SHADES attempted to do something about this by holding an event for wom*n only, in the hope that such an event would assist in developing a community.

Our funding application was quickly rejected due to “possible exclusionary advertising”, despite our accompanying statement pointing to the need for such an event. The USU could not possibly spare $200 to foster a community that is disillusioned with many aspects of society.  Now we can add the USU to that long list of disillusions.

But, it’s understandable that a student-funded organisation needs to finance events that are open to all the membership. So, I look forward to attending the Quidditch World Cup and the next debating championship in India. I’ll be bringing all 13,000 USU members with me.

Lucy Watson, Arts (MECO) VI
SHADES President