Welcome to Honi Soit 2014

To the first years hurriedly buying their entire textbook list, welcome to Honi Soit. In two weeks time, when you’re as disillusioned with the whole charade as the rest of us, we’ll be here for you. To those already accustomed to the droning whimper of university-life, welcome home. Two simple extensions, a kebab, and a…

honi-letter-yay

To the first years hurriedly buying their entire textbook list, welcome to Honi Soit. In two weeks time, when you’re as disillusioned with the whole charade as the rest of us, we’ll be here for you. To those already accustomed to the droning whimper of university-life, welcome home. Two simple extensions, a kebab, and a $200 travel fine should get you back into the swing of things.

In 2014, Honi will retain its critical ambitions.  No university institution, campus election, or questionable incident of student life will go unaddressed.  We hope to interrogate the student experience with the same suspicious concern that the ibis applies to every last chip packet.

We will publish the controversial opinions and ideas of all students who study, skip lectures and generally bum around at this university. With your help, this newspaper will be filled with varied and engaging content: from sports and technology, to issues facing international students, science and the law. If there is not something that genuinely interests you in each edition, we have failed. If you don’t do anything about it, so have you. Write to us, question us, mock us. Our great aspiration is to be the best conversation you’d never have otherwise.

Honi will not be left behind. We will update the Honi Soit website and work to finish the Honi App to ensure this publication remains up to date. This year, Honi will also be home to two new autonomous editions: one from the Indigenous Students Collective and another from the Autonomous Collective Against Racism (ACAR). These groups have fought hard for the ownership of autonomous editions and we welcome their inception.

For now, enjoy our first edition. We hope that it provides some insight into the quirks of campus life and the characters who inhabit it.

University can be a strange place. We hope that this rag may provide some comfort amidst the despair.

Honi Soit Editors