Left scores winning touch-down at SUPRA-bowl

Mariana Podesta-Diverio reports on the results of the recent SUPRA election.

SUPRA_BOWL

Progressive group Postgrad Action has won the majority of councillor positions in the recent SUPRA elections.  Results were sent out to SUPRA subscribers on Monday via eGrad, the organisation’s weekly newsletter, and have since been published on social media and put up in the SUPRA offices.

The people elected as councillors are as follows: Kylee Hartman-Warren, Joe Callingham, Michael De Waal, Kieran Latty, Guien Miao, Douglas King, Brendan McMonigal, Kaitlin Tagg, Brigitte Garozzo, Shaikh Faisal, Joanne Gad, Timothy Scriven, Gareth Charles, Kane Hardy, Jessica Bloom, Alex Dore, Vanessa Wells, Celeste Ellis, Zachary Thompson, Ella Factor, Paul Stewart, Helen Chen, and Bhuwan Ghimire.

Of the 23 people elected, 13 are a part of the Postgrad Action grouping, giving them a comfortable majority on council. An additional two people were associated with Postgrad Action, though they were not explicitly connected to the group. With these numbers it is possible for people from the Postgrad Action grouping to take out the office bearer positions, including presidency, with relative ease.

Two of the councillors, Alex Dore and Zachary Thompson, are prominent members of the Sydney University Liberal Club (SULC). Joe Callingham, another councillor, was the Vice-President of SULC in 2010-11. The remaining five councillors have unconfirmed political leanings.

Joe Callingham plans to increase the visibility of SUPRA in the student body and particularly with science students.

“This means running/sponsoring more events that ensure the direct participation of students.” Callingham said.

On the other side of the political spectrum, some members of Postgrad Action have expressed a desire to return to SUPRA’s connection with activism.

“I wanted to be elected because I believe that SUPRA is a union,” Timothy Scriven said. “And that it draws its strength from being a union.”

“Too often I think this is forgotten,” Scriven said. “SUPRA benefits from a strong connection with the social movements students are so intricately connected with.”

Although there have been murmurs of possible presidential candidates, nothing has yet been confirmed. Watch this space.