The Manning Files – Week 1, Semester 2

All the campus news and goss from Week 1, Semester 2.

manning files

I CAN TWEET CLEARLY NOW THE RAIN HAS GONE

In a small triumph for the transparency agenda, student media were permitted to report comments made by USU staff members throughout the last Friday’s USU Board meeting for the first time. Unfortunately everyone was awfully nice, with most of the Board having recently returned from a bonding retreat in the Blue Mountains and staff on their least confrontational behaviour. Honi will be looking out for any future staff-related bombshells.

In other Twitter related news, the USU marketing team were left red-faced over the holidays after one of their tweets was called out as sexist and misogynist by students. It read “RT @_g3t_deep: When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, ‘You hit like a bitch’”.

The tweet was quickly deleted and an apology offered for any offence caused. We’d advise the USU against retweeting anyone with a Twitter handle like @_g3t_deep, but perhaps more importantly, a hint for the USU marketing department is in order: probably best to avoid the word ‘bitch’ when trying to relay inspirational messages to your students.

ED CAN’T

While you, dear student, spent your winter break gramming the sunshine from your Topdeck holiday in Ibiza, a few masochistic, fun-hating student politicians headed to Perth for the National Union of Students’ Education Conference (Edcon), held at the University of Western Australia. We are genuinely surprised that a single motion was actually debated, but it seems they made it. Following the release of an audit by TL Consult, the motion proposed radically restructuring the organisation, including appointing a CEO and an advisory panel of experts, and the introduction of Key Performance Indicators.

The Executive (mostly Labor students) moved the motion, excited by the prospect that a real-life consulting firm would actually pay any attention to NUS. Socialist Alternative was unsurprisingly the most vocal in denouncing the motion – cue shouts
of “Fuck corporations!”

But things returned to normal when the factions began hurling insults at each other and Unity walked almost immediately after debate began. When it comes to NUS, some things change. But really, it’s just shit.

HEAR NO EVIL, SPEAK NO EVIL, TASTE NO EVIL

According to a number of alleged reports from the scene, a senior member of the Law Faculty who allegedly looked like the Dean allegedly cut in the line at Taste, but tipped generously. Honi will refrain from casting aspersions about the ethics of line cutting and/or tipping until we hear from our lawyers.

USU INEXPLICABLY PROMOTES SEXPO ON FACEBOOK

If anyone knows why, you know where to find us.