Reviews //

Architecture Revue: Don’t forget about the little guys

Mary Ward thought Architecture Revue was great.

archrevue

It was the punny name – one of the better ones on offer this season – that promised a Double Bullseye playoff with the chance to win your family of four flights, four nights accommodation and a three-park pass to Sea World, Movie World and Wet ‘n’ Wild on the Gold Coast.

And, for the most part, the 2014 Architecture Revue delivered.

With a drinking game distributed at the door (that would surely result in hospitalisation if ever attempted) The Price is Frank Lloyd Wright was an evening of good ol’ fashioned faculty-specific humour.

Highlights included a Downfall parody in which Hitler realises he is behind UTS’s new development, the most Monty Python-esque sketch known to man, and the show’s conclusion which featured Frank Lloyd Wright in a council bin signing DAs, and a host of hooded figures chanting “Guggenheim”.

An inevitable few sketches fell flat. On my night (the Saturday) the tale of a model constructed for an assignment that had accidentally been gifted with the power of speech was met with a dry reception.

The humour teetered towards the absurd at times. A particular video featuring quickly cut footage of a public toilet springs to mind. Although, compared to what the audience were experiencing at the Arts Revue upstairs, I’m sure the Architecture Revue was as straight and narrow as Louis Sullivan’s Wainwright Building.

Special mentions go to the band, who managed to flip between the American national anthem and the theme tune of an insane Japanese game show with ease, and Daniela Pagani, who played the exasperated developer in the middle of all this madness perfectly.

However, the evening’s star performer was undeniably Timothy Huang, whose homoerotic Mao and architecture-crazed child with a penchant for matricide stole the show.

In among the big budget productions at the Seymour Centre this revue season, it can be easy to forget about the little guys. But, if this year’s production is anything to go by, the Architecture Revue should definitely be added to your revue viewing schedule for 2015.