Reviews //

Law Revue: Great talent, offensive content

Mariana Podesta-Diverio is glad she didn’t go to see Law Revue for its political correctness.

lawrevue

Law Revue has a tradition of strong choreography, poignant political humour, and well-crafted musical numbers. This was my third consecutive Law Revue, and it contained by far the best incarnations of these things. The choice of songs to parody was on point, and the musical accompaniment was superb. One a cappella song about Officeworks – to the tune of Katy Perry’s Firework – was incredibly well done.

In the areas of acting talent and comedy writing, House of Clerks more than delivered. My favourite part was a skit about the perils of reverse parallel parking a chariot. Another golden moment was a jab at the Taste Baguette staff for their name-spelling mishaps. The current of self-deprecating lawyer humour was remarkably accessible and funny.

Revues are sometimes controversial, and that’s fine. People don’t go to Law Revue to see political correctness (I certainly don’t). As someone who goes to protests, I even found the sketches that made fun of protesters funny, because I can take a joke.

Of course, there’s a line somewhere, and this revue crossed it. A horrifying moment of the night was a sketch that involved four people in KKK costumes having a meeting for their USU society. One line in the sketch referred to 12 Years A Slave as a story about early retirement. When the spotlight came on, the KKK costumes drew an awkward murmur of uncertainty from the audience, and the punch line completely flopped, prompting boos. There were a lot of funny things in this show, but making fun of slavery while dressed in KKK garb wasn’t one of them.

Another lowlight was a sketch about asylum seekers who were sent to Christmas Island for “the best Christmas ever!” With the wealth of institutional knowledge and resources that Law Revue has access to, it’s unclear why the writers chose to rely on making fun of the oppressed. This is a crutch that could easily be done without.

Otherwise, the collective talent was considerable and no sketches felt overdrawn. Law Revue has serious strengths, and it should accentuate these rather than unnecessarily crossing the line into seriously offensive content.