Students Representative Council, University of Sydney - Tax Help Volunteers Needed

Live Blog: SRC Election 2014 Day 1

Welcome to our live blog of day 1 of the SRC Election. If you’re on our mobile app, open up the site up on your browser to follow the live blog. You can find polling booth opening times here. When you go to vote, you will also be given a ballot paper for a referendum regarding…

usydvotes

Welcome to our live blog of day 1 of the SRC Election.

If you’re on our mobile app, open up the site up on your browser to follow the live blog.

You can find polling booth opening times here.

When you go to vote, you will also be given a ballot paper for a referendum regarding fossil fuel divestment. Find out more and read the for and against arguments here.

Honi Soit September 24, 20148:39 am

We’re live at the Jane Foss Russell building where the first hour of polling for the SRC and Honi elections has begun. As anticipated, there is a flurry of coloured shirts desperately trying to walk people over the line. We’ll try to keep an exit poll as we go!

Honi Soit September 24, 20148:49 am

Both StandUp! and Grassroots/Switch appear to be out in full force – people standing at right at the line: 3 StandUp, 2 Groots, 2 Switch.

Honi Soit September 24, 20148:51 am

CORRECTION: This blog entry initially stated that RO Paulene Graham ordered Grassroots to take down a large green ‘Kyol for President’ banner from Verge Gallery. Grassroots were actually asked to take the banner down by University staff. When they did not comply, the University staff asked Paulene to pass on the message, and so she did, at which point it was taken down by Grassroots.

Honi Soit September 24, 20148:53 am

StandUp! Campaigner Alisha Aitken-Radburn has allegedly pushed a campaigner down the JFR stairs near SciTech Library after the two got into a hostile exchange.

Honi Soit September 24, 20149:04 am

Switch campaigner Cameron Caccamo: things continue to be horrible, voters are surrounded by upto 8 campaigners, stupol continues to be the worst

Honi Soit September 24, 20149:05 am

StandUp! Campaigner Georgia Kriz: very sweaty but killing it

Honi Soit September 24, 20149:08 am

About 200 people may have voted at JFR so far, according to the polling attendant. Polling is also happening at Fisher.

Honi Soit September 24, 20149:11 am

Standup campaigner Harry Stratton is fighting with Groots campaigner Max Keifel: “look it’s just a bit creepy what you’re doing!”

Honi Soit September 24, 20149:12 am

At this point this reporter is wondering why she didn’t apply to be a polling attendant – good money and a whole day of entertainment!

Honi Soit September 24, 20149:15 am

Voters look momentarily bemused at being surrounded by colourful shirts as they walk into the voting area … And then continue walking past it.

Honi Soit September 24, 20149:16 am

Campaigners reminded not to talk to people once they are past the line. They nod understandingly (and then ignore orders)

Honi Soit September 24, 20149:21 am

Lance Green (assistant electoral officer): It’s the same every year and they just need to be reminded that they need to calm things down

Honi Soit September 24, 20149:23 am

Currently Fisher and JFR polling booths are open. Manning opens at 10, Cumberland at 11 and SCA and Con at 12.

Honi Soit September 24, 20149:27 am

Tenaya from Grassroots and Amy Knox from Standup caught in a tense moment: “I’m not walking infront of you!”

Honi Soit September 24, 20149:28 am

About 10 people currently filling out ballot papers at JFR

Honi Soit September 24, 20149:30 am

4 standup campaigners literally walked someone over the line while Switch just stood there, didn’t even bother

Honi Soit September 24, 20149:33 am

Left Action campaigner Eleanor Morley walks someone over the line and points to Caccs saying that he will scream at people. He responds calmly.

Honi Soit September 24, 20149:35 am

Left Action campaigner Eleanor Morley walks someone over the line and points to Switch campaigner Cameron Caccamo, saying that he will scream at people. He responds calmly.

Honi Soit September 24, 20149:47 am

Overheard a voter at the polling booth: “it’s so intense, you can’t ignore them!”

Honi Soit September 24, 20149:50 am

No new updates at JFR really. Campaigners gonna campaign, voters gonna vote, apathetic students gonna walk away.

Honi Soit September 24, 20149:53 am

As always, ratio of campaigners to voter is 6:1

Honi Soit September 24, 201410:09 am

Manning is quite dead at the moment, presumably because it just opened

Honi Soit September 24, 201410:14 am

At Fisher the numbers seem to be about 98-100 votes cast so far, according to the polling attendant.

Honi Soit September 24, 201410:14 am

Fisher campaigners at the line are 2 StandUp, 2 Groots and 2 Heist

Honi Soit September 24, 201410:18 am

There are police officers at Fisher having a casual chat with Heist campaigners.

Honi Soit September 24, 201410:20 am

It seems that the police officers were curious about what these elections are. Heist campaigner says “they’re just friendly guys curious about the Fuck Abbott stuff”

Honi Soit September 24, 201410:21 am

Currently two StandUp campaigners are walking people over the line, and one Left Action

Honi Soit September 24, 201410:26 am

StandUp boss Hannah Smith: I feel hot and sweaty. We’re working really hard and we hope it all works out

Honi Soit September 24, 201410:30 am

Grassroots/ Switch boss Bebe D’Souza: we’ve had a really good response so far, but unfortunately it’s been quite aggressive particularly from Socialist Alternative especially against our first years, we’ve sent her away to calm her down, but it’s disappointing.

Honi Soit September 24, 201410:33 am

We have heard that Paulene (RO) told off a Groots campaigner for allegedly defaming a Unity campaigner because he complained that she had posted something to the affect of “if you vote for StandUp I’ll give you a BJ” on Facebook

Honi Soit September 24, 201410:39 am

We just witnessed Grassroots campaigner Ed Miller and Left Action campaigner Omar Hassan go head to head at Fisher and boy it was intense. The voter walked away, unfortunately.

Honi Soit September 24, 201410:47 am

2 StandUp campaigners have walked voters over the line get again, one attempt by Groots but unsuccessful

Honi Soit September 24, 201410:51 am

There is speculation that one of Alisha or Tenaya may be excluded by the end of the day over the altercation that occurred earlier

Honi Soit September 24, 201410:55 am

StandUp! Is sending 1 campaigner each to SCA and Con and 2 to Cumbo. They don’t expect to win SCA

Honi Soit September 24, 201411:03 am

Update on Fisher: 182 votes cast so far.

Honi Soit September 24, 201411:13 am

Standup campaigner Harry Stratton is fighting with Groots campaigner Max Keifel: “look it’s just a bit creepy what you’re doing!” to him seemingly campaigning.

Honi Soit September 24, 201411:26 am

Left Action campaigner Omar Hassan accidentally campaigns to former Labor member and current undergraduate Senate candidate Anabel Osborn

Honi Soit September 24, 201411:27 am

We’re taking a short break from live blogging. We will be back after midday!

Honi Soit September 24, 201411:38 am

Overheard Left Action campaigner Ridah Hassan on the phone to Paulene: “I would never do what I’m being accused of against Kyol, that’s an outrageous lie”

Honi Soit September 24, 201412:35 pm

And we’re back to continue our coverage of this extremely hot and sweaty first day of elections. Thus far this afternoon, all campaigners Honi has spoken to are unanimous in two things: feeling as though they have mild cases of heatstroke, and being furious with the allegedly aggressive campaigning tactics of Left Action members.

Honi Soit September 24, 201412:41 pm

About 450 votes have been cast at JFR thus far today.

Honi Soit September 24, 201412:44 pm

Apparently Left Action was reprimanded this morning for chalking on vertical surfaces against election regulations. The chalk has since been removed by University maintenance staff, but Left Action will have to bear the cost of the removal.

Honi Soit September 24, 20141:04 pm

Overall vibe of this afternoon’s campaigning is very relaxed after what several campaigners have described as a “ridiculously intense” morning.

Honi Soit September 24, 20141:29 pm

Sole PRAVDA for Honi candidate Pedram Mohseini: ” I think I’m going to win.” On the other side of the race, Heist says they are still feeling quietly confident.

Honi Soit September 24, 20141:32 pm

It’s difficult to call who’s doing best in the presidential race at this stage; while the Grasroots/Switch coalition does appear to have more campaigners on the ground, the bulk of StandUp! campaigners look to be having more success engaging voters and walking them over the line.

Honi Soit September 24, 20141:38 pm

Meanwhile, a number of members of the Sydney University Liberal Club are lingering around voting booths aimlessly after an administrative mistake by their campaign manager prevented them from entering any tickets in the election.

Honi Soit September 24, 20141:50 pm

Up the Colleges (StandUp!) ticket head Tim Sullivan has just shown Honi a roster of over 100 college students he’s enlisted to come and vote for his ticket at specific times and specific booths over the rest of the election period. We are quite impressed.

Honi Soit September 24, 20142:34 pm

It’s the mid-afternoon slump. Voters are few and far between compared to this morning, but plenty of campaigners still out at JFR and Fisher. Your devoted correspondent has been beseeched to vote three times and counting.

Honi Soit September 24, 20142:35 pm

Overheard: A Switch campaigner talking about the times ‘Rhys’ rostered him on for. Who is this undergraduate headkicker named Rhys?

Honi Soit September 24, 20142:39 pm

Tom Raue (not a student, former Grassroots member) just shared his exit polling from the Fisher booth with Honi:

Prez: 9 for Kyol, 5 for Amy (“It’s probably closer than that,” he said.)
Honi: 1 for Chris Pyne, everybody else for Heist or unsure.
The majority of people polled DO know somebody involved with the campaign.
1 International student voter

Honi Soit September 24, 20142:45 pm

Voting updates: 500 votes have been cast at Fisher (“Already!” said the polling booth attendant incredulously) and exactly 180 at Manning.

Honi Soit September 24, 20142:46 pm

The Manning line currently dominated by Heist and Grassroots. Most people are milling around; voters thin on the ground.

Honi Soit September 24, 20143:08 pm

Just heard from Cumbo, where polling has just closed. 229 votes cast there.

Honi Soit September 24, 20143:10 pm

A decent amount of people voting at JFR. The ‘line’ has shifted to catch voters from the City Rd footbridge, heading towards Redfern Station.

Honi Soit September 24, 20143:28 pm

Amy Knox: “It’s been exhausting but it’s been fun. I’m feeling optimistic and there’s another day, so who knows what can happen.”

Honi Soit September 24, 20143:33 pm

Fahad Ali of Students for Palestine for SRC says he has had a good day and is predicting a win for his ticket. The rivalry between Ali’s ticket and Socialist Alternative’s Free Palestine ticket (see the most recent Manning Files) has continued, with verbal exchanges between Ali and SAlt members Ridah Hassan and April Holcombe.

Honi Soit September 24, 20143:36 pm

We can confirm what we posted earlier – an agreement has been made between Kyol Blakeney and Amy Knox dictating that nobody can contest votes against the candidates. This is a far cry from recent years – the Sam Farrell/Callum Drake partnership one of the most intense candidate/campaigner contest partnerships in recent years, if anybody reading this is as old as me.

Honi Soit September 24, 20143:37 pm

Spotted on Eastern Ave: RO Paulene Graham. Best behaviour, everyone!

Honi Soit September 24, 20143:47 pm

Kyol Blakeney is also feeling optimistic: “I’m feeling good, the team is looking good. There’s lots of people going back and forth” *gestures along Eastern ave*

Honi Soit September 24, 20143:50 pm

The Hat of the Day (not to be confused with Hack of the Day) winner is Sam Langford. That bejewelled cap is simply wonderful.

Honi Soit September 24, 20143:50 pm

Approximately 700 votes cast at JFR, estimates the polling booth attendant.

Honi Soit September 24, 20143:52 pm

There is no Hack of the Day winner, to be clear.

Honi Soit September 24, 20144:00 pm

RO Paulene Graham has said three different candidates from three different campaigns have had campaigning restrictions placed on them (e.g. Banned for the afternoon, restricted to a specific area).

Honi Soit September 24, 20144:06 pm

Chris Pyne for Honi aka Celeste Arenas has had to authorise her how to votes after a complaint. Another complaint was made that she is a Liberal Party member and did not put it on her material, However, it was dismissed by Paulene, who said she has not been presented with convincing material Arenas is a Liberal Party member.

Correction: Paulene dismissed the complaint as “no one needs to state such a thing as it’s a free country”.

Honi Soit September 25, 20149:05 am

We’ve got a new live blog for Day 2 of the elections. Follow along:

Live Blog: SRC Election 2014 Day 2

Honi Soit September 25, 201412:29 pm

Chris Pyne for Honi aka Celeste Arenas has had to authorise her how to votes after a complaint. Another complaint was made that she is a Liberal Party member and did not put it on her material, However, it was dismissed by Paulene, who said “no one needs to state such a thing as it’s a free country”.