The Queer Superhero Primer

Robin Eames and Elliot Mucsnik explore the fabulous world of queer and gender diverse superheroes.

yeoh

BATWOMAN

Possibly the highest-profile lesbian superhero in comics right now  and the only queer comics character with her own titled series. Controversy emerged recently when the writers wanted her to get married, but DC forbade it.

BLACK CANARY (SARA LANCE)

CW’s Arrow recently had Black Canary reveal that she had relationships with both women and men, making her Marvel and DC’s first explicitly queer cinematic character. She shared a kiss onscreen with her terrifying ex-GF Nyssa al Ghul.  And yes, our tiny queer hearts did indeed explode.

NORTHSTAR

Arguably the first “out” mainstream superhero ever. He married his male partner in an issue of Astonishing X-Men in 2012.

MYSTIQUE

Mystique is the queerest, most genderfluid shapeshifting-est character in comics history – no matter what Jennifer Lawrence says. In the comics she has a long-standing relationship with psychic blind mutant Destiny (Irene Adler).

THE YOUNG AVENGERS

The Young Avengers series is the latest and arguably most prominent all-queer superhero team, including Hulkling, Wiccan, Miss America, Hawkeye (Kate Bishop), Noh-Varr, Prodigy, and Loki (see page 14).

WOLVERINE

Wolverine appears in a spin-off ‘What If?’ comic where he marries Hercules and the character’s creator has confirmed that he is canonically bisexual across all universes. He’s always grumpy because of biphobia.

LOKI

Loki “My culture doesn’t really share your concept of sexual identity” Odinson is queer and genderfluid in mythology, queer and genderfluid in comics, and obviously temporarily closeted queer and genderfluid in the MCU.  Loki appears in various genders, ages, and shapes, and he is too pretty for you.

MOONDRAGON AND PHYLA-VELL

Moondragon and Phyla-Vell are two queer women who were cut from the Guardians of the Galaxy cinematic line-up for NO FUCKING REASON AT ALL.
Yes, we’re bitter.

ALYSIA YEOH

Alysia Yeoh was revealed to be DC’s (arguably) first transgender character in Batgirl #9. She’s also one of the first non-fantastical trans characters in comics.

KAROLINA AND XAVIN

Xavin is a genderfluid Super-Skrull who appears as a black man and then later as a black woman. She is in a relationship with acknowledged lesbian Karolina Dean.

CONSTANTINE

John Constantine is really fucking bisexual. NBC will acknowledge this one day. Probably. Hopefully.