Spurr spurns spotlight, recedes with resignation

The University of Sydney today announced the resignation of Professor Barry Spurr in an email to staff, without revealing the terms of his departure.

The University's email to staff announcing Barry Spurr's resignation. The University's email to staff announcing Barry Spurr's resignation.

Alexi Polden & Peter Walsh spent a lot of time on the phone.

UPDATE: Education Minister Christopher Pyne and Shadow Education Minister Kate Ellis have now responded to Spurr’s resignation.

Professor Spurr, who last week settled a Federal Court case against New Matilda was understood to be pursuing an action in the Fair Work Commission against the University. It is unclear whether his action has been resolved, however a spokesperson for the University could confirm that lawyers for both parties had reached an agreement that prevents them from further discussing the matter. Spurr’s lawyer, John Laxon, was also contacted but was unable to comment.

Professor Spurr rose to prominence earlier this year following New Matilda’s leak of emails sent from his work account. The emails exposed him sharing confidential information about students and making derogatory remarks about women, Aboriginals, and Muslims.

Professor Spurr was also a consultant to the Federal Government’s review of the national curriculum. A spokesperson for the Education Minister, Christopher Pyne, told Honi that Spurr’s that resignation was “a matter for the University” said the review made “common sense recommendations”. Pyne has previously maintained that the contents of the leaked emails had not affected the review.  The Shadow Education Minister, Kate Ellis told Honi that  “The Government’s curriculum review has been tainted by the appointment of political mates from the start” and welcomed Spurr’s resignation, reiterating her position that “there is no place for racism, bigotry and discrimination in any Australian educational institution”.

The University's email to staff announcing Barry Spurr's resignation.
The University’s email to staff announcing Barry Spurr’s resignation.