Quentin Bryce Law Doctoral Scholarship

LIVE: SRC Council Meeting

Live updates from the floor of the second regular meeting of the 88th Students Representative Council. Also follow on twitter at @honi_soit and tweet us your questions.

Honi Soit February 3, 20165:56 pm

Good evening and welcome back to the first major foray into student politics in 2016. It’s a new year, but as the saying goes, old habits die hard.

We’ll be live-blogging the action right from the floor of the meeting. You can follow us on Twitter @honi_soit where you can also ask us any questions you might have about what’s happening.

The meeting is set to begin at 6pm in the Main Quadrangle, but whether it will start on time is yet to be seen.

This is the first meeting of the newly elected SRC so it will be interesting to see how the night plays out…

Honi Soit February 3, 20165:57 pm

We’ll be live-blogging the action right from the floor of the meeting. You can follow us on Twitter @honi_soit where you can also ask us any questions you might have about what’s happening. You can tweet using the hashtag #usydsrc.

Honi Soit February 3, 20166:29 pm

Your correspondents are in the room, which looks definitely quorate. Proceedings are yet to start, the temperature and humidity are high. Stay tuned for a quorum count soon.

Today’s bloggers will be Mary Ward, Naaman Zhou and Subeta Vimalarajah. Subeta Vimalarajah is a former member of Grassroots. Naaman Zhou is a former member of SLS. Mary Ward is a former member of St Bernadette’s Netball Club.

Honi Soit February 3, 20166:29 pm

There are 25 councillors present and we have quorum! Let’s get this rager on the road.

Honi Soit February 3, 20166:41 pm

Following General Secretary Georgia Mantle’s (Grassroots) Acknowledgement of Country, the meeting kicks off with a flood of resignations.

At the (slightly) higher echelon of decision-making, a member of the SRC’s Executive, Monique Newberry (Grassroots) has resigned. No replacement has been nominated this meeting. 

This means that the Executive will be less one member until the next council can convene. Monique was not required to provide a reason for their resignation. Word on the street is that they resigned due to feeling uncomfortable about the way they were elected to take an outstanding AA position. 

In terms of council:

Tiffany Alexander resigns her council seat to Sam Kwon (NLS). 

Chloe Smith (NLS) resigns her council seat to Jenna Schroder (NLS).

Atia Rahim (Unity) resigns her council seat to Lorena White (Unity).

Honi Soit February 3, 20166:49 pm

At the (slightly) higher echelon of decision-making, a member of the SRC’s Executive, Monique Newberry (Grassroots) has resigned. Monique was not required to provide a reason at the time of resignation. Word on the street is that they resigned due to discomfort about the way they were elected to fill an outstanding AA spot. 

In terms of council:

Honi Soit February 3, 20167:00 pm

As the Secretary takes us through a very dry chat explaining the procedures and mechanisms behind SRC meetings, Michael Elliott (Unity) moves a procedural motion to skip it and move on to something juicier: the condemnation of Undergraduate Fellow of Senate, Dalton Fogarty for voting in favour of the upcoming senate changes and university restructure.

Elliott speaks to his motion, saying Fogarty has “breached his fiduciary duties” to students. He quotes the former Undergraduate Fellow, Patrick Massarani, who tells us that “Dalton has the mental acuity of a coffee table.”

“In short,” says Elliott, “Dalton is a dick”.

Fogarty’s election, it must be noted, survived an appeal that claimed he used an iPad in Fisher Library coercing students to vote.

Cameron Caccamo (Independent) explains Fogarty’s absence today as a result of his previous SRC appearance, which he says was a forty minute long attack. A bemused Caccamo says that Dalton “weirdly trusts me despite our politics being on opposite sides of the spectrum”. “I don’t agree with what he’s done, but here is the context”. Fairly loud boos follow from all factions, with USU President Alisha Aitken-Radburn (Unity) told off for swearing.

In the end, the motion passes with one abstention, Dimitry Palmer (Liberals).

Honi Soit February 3, 20167:02 pm

At the (slightly) higher echelon of decision-making, a member of the SRC’s Executive, Monique Newberry has resigned. Monique was not required to provide a reason at the time of resignation. Word on the street is that they resigned due to discomfort about the way they were elected to fill an outstanding AA spot. 

In terms of council:

Honi Soit February 3, 20167:05 pm

After the anti-Fogarty motion is passed, the next agenda point is the Undergraduate Senate Fellow report.

After heckling from Socialist Alternative and attempts to skip the report, Cameron Caccamo is eventually permitted to give Dalton Fogarty’s report in Fogarty’s absence after he proclaims he has permission via Facebook.

Caccamo attempts to sugar-coat Fogarty’s report with his own comments. Soon after Caccamo expresses that he’s in a “council of 33 that I love”, Alisha Aitken Radburn (Unity) tells him to stick strictly to the words of Fogarty’s written report.

Fogarty (in his written report) identifies that the new minimum proposed model was eleven senators (as opposed to the fifteen that were salvaged).

Fogarty considered the new model more effective, a decision arrived at with his business acumen. Your humble editors at Honi Soit are also hit with a violent blow. Fogarty clarifies that despite our “attempted deviations from the truth”, the meeting where the Senate changes were made was not “secret” at all.

Honi Soit February 3, 20167:18 pm

Honi Soit February 3, 20167:20 pm

Elections for vacant positions are held. Georg Tamm, Linna Wei and Hannah Makris (split) are elected as new Disabilities Officers. They are elected uncontested. 

There are no nominations for Intercampus Committee members, likely because nominators need to be studying at a satellite campus. The motion passes on to the next meeting.

Isabella Brook (NLS) is elected to the General Executive. At one point, Office Bearer position heavy-weight (Environment Officer, Global Solidarity Officer) Michelle Picone (SLS) is nominated by Oliver Plunkett (SLS). However, he does not have the two signatures required for a valid nomination.

Isabella Brook (NLS) is therefore elected uncontested.

Honi Soit February 3, 20167:38 pm

We move on to the reports of the General Secretaries and the Vice-Presidents – usually uncontroversial affairs, but not this time.

USU President Alisha Aitken-Radburn challenges the Gen Sec (Mantle and Lachlan Ward) report for inaccuracies. According to her, the SRC, which leases space for the Bookshop from the USU, have failed to pay the required rent. She says the General Secretaries have misrepresented the arrangement between the USU and the SRC. It is recorded that the arrangement has been misrepresented in the minutes.

It emerges that the Bookshop is making a loss. Aitken-Radburn asks what the SRC will do about this. Ward says they are looking at an online platform.

As for the Vice-Presidents (Jamie Rusiti and Anna Hush), neither are present. They have submitted a written report, which members of Socialist Alternative sledge for being too short. (“Barely a report!” says someone, “a tweet!” says another).

Subeta Vimalarajah (Honi Editor), presents the report to council, clarifying that Hush is absent due to a family emergency, and noting the VP’s success in campaigning for a new anonymous marking system.

Honi Soit February 3, 20167:41 pm

Liam Carrigan (Grassroots) starts off the Education Officer’s report after a performative gulp of water to prepare himself. Carrigan comments on a “very active couple of months”. Notes the “very pleasing” win from late last year when Academic Board amended their decision to abolish simple extensions.

Runs through a range of other initiatives including a co-signed statement they have released with the SRC, SUPRA and USU.

Dylan Griffiths, Liam’s co-Education Officer, takes over. Dylan lists a range of work they have completed from meeting with the Education and Social Work Society to putting together an information forum sharing the EAG’s tactics for fighting the restructure with other activists.

After an all-nighter, they both also successfully completed the Counter Course Handbook – one of their mandatory duties.

Both Education Officers speak again and recount the success of their Insipid campaign – a counter-marketing campaign launched at Information Day. For more info, check out this piece one of our reporters, Siobhan Ryan, wrote about it.

A sly prick is directed at Student Unity who Carrigan claims did not initially support “free education” as a demand. Carrigan’s claims are quickly silenced by an indignant Robby Magyar who notes that it was his idea.

Carrigan thanks Vinil Kumar (Socialist Alternative) for his design work (as above). Also recaps the EAG meeting with Michael Spence, that took place yesterday. 

Based on Spence‘s comments in the meeting, Carrigan alleges that the future of administrative staff will be the most compromised by the restructure. Carrigan also claims that Spence labelled student activists as “bullies” who manipulate the minds of their peers. 

Councillors witness a rare moment – Socialist Alternative tell the Education Department that they’re off to a good start. Carrigan beams. 

Honi Soit February 3, 20167:47 pm

Dylan Griffiths, Carrigan’s co-Education Officer, takes over. Griffiths lists a range of work they have completed from meeting with the Education and Social Work Society to putting together an information forum sharing the EAG’s tactics for fighting the restructure with other activists.

A sly prick is directed at Student Unity who Carrigan claims did not initially support “free education” as a demand. Liam’s claims are quickly silenced by an indignant Robby Magyar who notes that it was actually his idea. 

Carrigan thanks Vinil Kumar for his design work (as above). Also recaps the EAG meeting with Michael Spence that took place yesterday. Carrigan alleges that administrative staff will be severely effected by the restructure. 

Honi Soit February 3, 20167:51 pm

Both Education Officers speak again and recount the success of their Insipid campaign – a counter-marketing campaign launched at Information Day. For more info, check out this piece written by one of our brill reporters. 

Carrigan thanks Vinil Kumar for his design work (as above). Also recaps the EAG meeting with Vice Chancellor Michael Spence, that took place yesterday. Carrigan alleges that administrative staff will be severely effected by the restructure. 

Councillors witness a rare moment – Socialist Alternative commends the Education department on their work so far. Carrigan swells with pride. 

Honi Soit February 3, 20167:56 pm

The reports continue. One of the two Wom*n’s Officers is present (Vanessa Song), Hush as noted before, is absent. Hush’s report has been written and submitted, the Secretary to Council reads Song’s aloud. Growing Strong, the Wom*n’s Collective handbook given out at O-Week is ready. They have also been liasing with the NUS national wom*n’s officer, while on campus, the first Wom*n of Colour Collective event for the year is planned already. The report is accepted.

Next, Mantle presents the Indigenous Officer report (co-officer Madison McIvor is absent). She lets the words of their already submitted report speak for themselves, but verbally notes the great turnout for recent Invasion Day events and protests.

Next, the Environmental Officers take the floor in a strange two-hander. Michelle Picone (SLS) rises to speak and discloses that she and Lily Matchett (co-officer, also present, sitting across from her), have not yet met formally.

She extends her respect to Matchett and the Environmental Collective. Keen watchers of last year’s RepsElect will remember that Picone was elected against the wishes of said collective.

Picone says she wants to work with the USU on organic food bins to save waste. The council, for the first time tonight, applauds.

Matchett then presents a separate report. “It’s nice to meet you”, she says. After presenting some interstate enviro news, she too bows out to applause. Maybe this is a trend.

Honi Soit February 3, 20168:04 pm

Finally, we arrive at some substantive motions (proposals designed to change how the SRC works). The first is moved by Gen Sec Lachlan Ward (NLS) who wants to reform the way the Orientation Committee works. The committee, in theory, helps the SRC produce it’s O-Week materials and handbooks, but says Ward, the system is broken. He notes that in one meeting of the fairly sizeable committee, only one person showed up.

Currently, the committee is elected at RepsElect with no limit on members. The new proposal will allow the SRC Exec to appoint members at their discretion. This, he says, will ensure a more effective, helpful team to assist the Executive in organising O-Week.

The motion carries.

Honi Soit February 3, 20168:05 pm

Honi Soit February 3, 20168:06 pm

Finally, we arrive at some substantive motions (proposals designed to change how the SRC works). The first is moved by Gen Sec Lachlan Ward who wants to reform the way the Orientation Committee works. The committee, in theory, helps the SRC produce its O-Week materials and handbooks but, says Ward, the system is broken. He notes that in one meeting of the fairly sizeable committee, only one person showed up.

The motion carries.

Honi Soit February 3, 20168:09 pm

Finally, the Environmental Officers take the floor in a strange two-hander. Michelle Picone (SLS) rises to speak and discloses that she and Lily Matchett (co-officer, also present, sitting across from her), have not yet met formally.

Honi Soit February 3, 20168:18 pm

Lachlan Ward (NLS) proposes an “Office Bearer reform” motion which would prohibit one individual from holding more than two Office Bearer positions. Oliver Plunkett (SLS) roars in defence of the status quo. He remarks that “we fail to fill these roles up every year.”

Monique Newberry defends the motion arguing that there are lots of interested students, they just need be appropriately engaged by the SRC. She points to harassing campaigning tactics as one of the reasons for student apathy.

Socialist Alternative are largely uninterested in these motions as they hold out for R.1-R.4 – the motions asking the SRC to take political stances (e.g. “Get the market out of our healthcare).

Justine Amin (Unity) supports the motion, embedding in her reasoning a sweet compliment to General Secretary/Indigenous Officer Georgia Mantle (Grassroots) about her ability to fulfil both (substantial) roles.

Ultimately, the motion passes but with dissenting votes from Unity and SLS councillors.

Honi Soit February 3, 20168:21 pm

The reports continue. One of the two Wom*n’s Officers is present – Vanessa Song (Unity). The other Officer, Anna Hush (Grassroots), as noted before, is absent. 

Hush‘s report has been written and submitted. Song elects for the Secretary to Council to read her report aloud. Growing Strong, the Wom*n’s Collective handbook given out at O-Week, is ready. 

They have also been liasing with the NUS national Wom*n’s Officer Heidi La Paglia (NLS), while on campus. Song has also planned the first Wom*n of Colour Collective event for the year. The report is accepted.

Honi Soit February 3, 20168:22 pm

Monique Newberry defends the motion arguing that there are lots of interested students, they just need be appropriately engaged. She points to harassing campaigning tactics as one of the reasons for student apathy and urges that such issues be addressed.

Socialist Alternative are largely uninterested in these motions as they hold out for “General Business” R.1-R.4 – the motions asking the SRC to take political stances (e.g. “Get the market out of our healthcare).

Justine Amin (Unity) supports the motion, embedding in her reasoning a compliment to General Secretary/Indigenous Officer Georgia Mantle (Grassroots) on her ability to fulfil both (substantial) roles.

Honi Soit February 3, 20168:25 pm

The motion carries.

Honi Soit February 3, 20168:43 pm

Cameron Caccamo, the Chair of the Standing Legal Committee, is presenting a suite of amendments today.

The first is a motion to have an ad hoc Electoral Committee. This motion fails, following concern from Dylan Williams (Unity) that the SRC needs additional groups.

The second is a motion to amend 1.11 of the regulations, which will allow for the Secretary of Council during an inquorate meeting to call for a vote to determine if they should wait for 30 minutes for the meeting to be inquorate. Under Caccs’ motion, this could be continued indefinitely. 

So, a council meeting can basically run for any multiple of 30 minutes your tiny mind can conceive. Michael Elliott (Unity) expresses concern, asking to remove the word “indefinitely”. However, after a procedural kerfuffle it emerges that the council couldn’t actually vote on Elliott’s amendment (the “Ellimendment”) yet because it hadn’t been backed by the motion’s mover. The council then votes on, and passes, Caccs’ amendment, leaving the Ellimendment to lapse.

Next up from Caccamo’s House of Motions is another meeting procedure amendment, allowing automatic fifteen minute breaks after every two and a half hours of a meeting. 

Monique Newberry (Independent) agrees, stating that sometimes even the most dedicated of SRC reps “need to pee” without fearing that quorum will be pulled mid-stream. Oliver Plunkett (SLS) echoes previous concerns that allowing for the council to do anything while inquorate is unconstitutional. Ultimately, Caccamo decides to take his motion back-amo to the drawing board and consult with the council.

Honi Soit February 3, 20168:44 pm

A motion is proposed condemning the Education Department’s Insipid campaign. The motion is moved by David Hogan (Liberal) and Dimitry Palmer (Liberal). Palmer speaks to the motion.

He opens to his hostile audience with the argument that the campaign is “targeting the Liberal party”, despite the complicity of Labor in many education cuts. Unsurprisingly, his words do not carry much weight in a room brimming with card carrying Labor students.

He argues that $300 of student money (the amount spent on the Info Day posters) should not have been used on such an “ineffectual” campaign (because the posters were taken down) that “targets” a “significant proportion” of students. For those confused, the “significant proportion” of students are apparently all those of us who identify as Liberal party voters.

After tip-toeing around, Palmer launches straight into an attack of what student activists hold true and dear – the Student Services Amenities Fee (SSAF). He vehemently exclaims that “students are forced to pay SSAF” to murmurs of “here”, “here” from nearby councillors.

The uproar mounts in jeers and outright laughter as Palmer decries the “hard working student money” wasted by the SRC. Despite an unsympathetic majority, Palmer’s fellow comrade Alex Fitton (Liberal) nods along obediently in a slick Ralph Lauren polo.

Ultimately and unsurprisingly, with no discussion, the motion fails. Four strident Liberal hands rise in favour to oppose a sea of no’s.

Honi Soit February 3, 20168:46 pm

After tip-toeing around, Palmer launches straight into an attack of what student activists hold true and dear – the Student Services Amenities Fee (SSAF). He vehemently exclaims that “students are forced to pay SSAF” to murmurs of “here” “here” from nearby councillors.

Honi Soit February 3, 20169:12 pm

The meeting has been running now for around two and a half hours. The relative whirlwind of resignations, new appointments and disputed motions has settled into a bit of a lull. 

This is thanks to one of the biggest motions of the night, in terms of word count. Christopher Anderton (SAlt) speaks to the motion, that aims to institute a suite of actions to oppose the upcoming restructure. 

Council settles into a rather pleasing pattern of long speeches that everyone generally agrees with. Speakers have been able to, shockingly, speak without interruption. The council, held in the very room from last year’s gladiatorial RepsElect, now resembles a standard lecture theatre – phones are in hands, with the audience offering the odd respectful glance upwards.  

Then the Secretary stirs us from our sleep. As the meeting has nearly reached 9pm, a 15 minute break has to be taken. 

Finally things happen. A procedural is moved to go straight to a vote. Some councillors, formerly affiliated to Grassroots but now loosely independent, are seen to raise their hands for the motion. Grassroots bigwigs plead with them to put them down. Education Officer Liam Carrigan (Grassroots) asks them to continue the discussion. “I think this needs to be a campaign that everyone is happy with”, says.

The motion fails, the discussion continues, the promise of the break evaporates. 

Honi Soit February 3, 20169:12 pm

Finally things happen. A procedural is moved to go straight to a vote. Some councillors, formerly affiliated to Grassroots but now loosely independent, are seen to raise their hands for the motion. Grassroots bigwigs plead with them to put them down. Education Officer Liam Carrigan (Grassroots) asks them to continue the discussion. “I think this needs to be a campaign that everyone is happy with”, he says.

Honi Soit February 3, 20169:19 pm

This council appears to be filibustering the break. 

Honi Soit February 3, 20169:25 pm

To speed up the discussion, President Chloe Smith says she will be closing the speaking list (not accepting new speakers). Ten minutes later, we’re still talking. As we move onto a new speaker, a member of SAlt pipes up, asking “I thought we closed the list?”

“They were already on the list,” says Chloe, “it’s a long list”. 

It is indeed. Another 5 minutes later, there are still 3 people waiting their turn. We go on. 

Honi Soit February 3, 20169:39 pm

The blessed break arrives, and as everyone files out, word goes around that Unity, SAlt and other councillors are leaving campus. Remaining Grassroots and NLS members do a rapid and uncertain quorum count. 

Factional bigwigs from Grassroots ask SAlt if they’re leaving. “No, we’re just going for 5 minutes and coming back”, they say. 

A count of the room reveals we are not currently quorate. It will depend on if the Liberal councillors, SAlt and certain Independents show up at the end of the break.  

Honi Soit February 3, 20169:49 pm

SAlt and the Liberals have returned. Minutes from the quorum count, it now becomes clear that only Unity and SLS have left. A count is held and the magic number rolls in: 19. 

We are quorate and this unusually long meeting continues. 

Honi Soit February 3, 201610:05 pm

Council has an especially sleepy air about it now. The mammoth motion from before the break goes through ten more minutes of incredibly civil discussion until it is finally approved. 

SAlt are monopolising the floor. Their speeches are declamatory yet very calm, condemning, among other things, USU President Alisha Aitken-Radburn for making Facebook comments that were later picked up by The Australian and the government’s treatment of refugees. 

Honi Soit February 3, 201610:13 pm

As Dimitry Palmer (Liberal) is speaking against SAlt and defending the government’s refugee policy, two NLS councillors, Jenna Schroder and Sam Kwon leave the room. 

By our rough calculations, this makes the meeting inquorate. Councillor Liliana Tai having left earlier.  

Honi Soit February 3, 201610:15 pm

Now Palmer leaves, if it wasn’t inquorate then, it is now. SAlt members currently outnumbering actual councillors. 

Honi Soit February 3, 201610:23 pm

The council has continued despite being inquorate (Honi estimates the number of councillors at 14). It will continue until a count is called to confirm, yet the council is determined to continue to the meeting’s conclusion. 

SAlt members and Education Officer Dylan Griffiths (Solidarity) discuss supporting the Palm Sunday rally for refugee rights and the motion is carried. 

Honi Soit February 3, 201610:24 pm

We are now onto the last motion of the night. 3 more councillors depart, leaving us at 11 (a full third of the full council). The diehards talk on, nobody mentions it. 

Honi Soit February 3, 201610:33 pm

And we’re done! This especially long meeting closes at 10:27pm, thanks for following along. To recap:

– A member of the SRC Executive (the SRC’s highest decision-making body) has resigned. Monique Newberry (former Grassroots, now independent) resigned their position, and was replaced by Isabella Brook (NLS).

– Three elected councillors resigned their seats and were similarly replaced. Tiffany Alexander resigned to Sam Kwon (NLS), Chloe Smith (NLS) to Jenna Schroder (NLS) and Atia Rahim (Unity) to Lorena White (Unity)

Cameron Caccamo (Independent) and Lachlan Ward (NLS) had significant reformist proposals accepted.

– Under Caccamo’s new regulation, an inquorate council can vote to wait indefinitely (in 30 minute intervals) rather than the meeting automatically being voided. This promises to significantly change the current practice of “pulling quorum” that marred last year’s infamous RepsElect.

– Ward meanwhile oversaw two successful motions . One prohibited Office Bearers from holding more than two positions. It will however, only take effect next year and will not force current OBs to resign.

– The other streamlined the unwieldy Orientation Committee, making it no longer electectable at RepsElect, and instead appointed by Exec.

– The Undergraduate Fellow of Senate, Dalton Fogarty, was condemned by council for voting in favour of the upcoming university restructure.

Democracy in action. Your bloggers tonight have been Naaman Zhou, Mary Ward and Subeta Vimalarajah, see you next month.

Honi Soit March 2, 20166:19 pm

Evening all and welcome to the second council of 2016. While we wait for the councillors to file in, a question on the mind of your correspondents: how much democracy can one campus take? We’ve been on a hot streak recently – RepsElect, last month’s four-hour meeting, actual things being done.  

But as always, things could go wrong. Sitting in the room, we can confirm a quorum already, but word on the street is a fair few are planning to leave after an hour. Let’s hope not hey, seeing as one of your eds had to skip dinner with his grandma (recently back from a holiday) to be here.

Our last meeting (see below for recap) saw a slate of reforms and a flood of motions. This week, there’s three. None seem especially controversial. Keep an eye out though for the Kwon/Harris ruling and a very recent SAlt motion about Islamophobia on campus that might involve a significant pay-out to SUMSA.

What does that all mean? Let’s see. 
This evening your correspondents are Mary Ward and Naaman Zhou. Mary on the tweets, Naaman on the blog – but who knows we might swap halfway through. We’re an agile and disruptive team this year. Welcome to 2k16. 
Honi Soit March 2, 20166:29 pm

Attendance update:

Missing today are the whole of Student Unity – councillors Michael Elliott, Dylan Williams, Lorena White and Sean Tingcombe, who is also a member of SRC Exec. Apparently, they have ALP Club drinks with Bob Carr, and he’s a busy man. 

Alice Strauss of SLS misses her second council in a row, making her nought for 2016. We understand she’s actually on exchange this semester (but hasn’t resigned her spot to anyone who is actually present). Her council seat will be empty until August. 
Co-Vice-President Jamie Rusiti is also missing for the second time. 
David Hogan (Liberals) and Vinil Kumar (SAlt) are also absent. They are probably not hanging out together. 

Honi Soit March 2, 20166:35 pm

We start, as all healthy democracies do, with the resignations:

Councillor Ridah Hassan (SAlt) resigns her seat to Eleanor Morley (SAlt)

Councillor Emma Liu (NLS) resigns to Alexander Shu (NLS)

Madison McIvor also resigns as Indigenous officer.

Honi Soit March 2, 20166:37 pm

The council is breezing through the hurdles. No questions asked during question time, no visitor’s business, no report from the Undergraduate Fellow of Senate, Dalton Fogarty, whose report last month was not only heavily contested, but was followed by a condemnation. 

Where has all the drama gone? This is a remarkably sedate chamber, even the air-con is working.

Honi Soit March 2, 20166:42 pm

A sombre motion from the floor now from Cameron Caccamo (Independent). He speaks about the recent death of Elliot Miller, a prominent member of the campus drama and revue scene. “It seems small in the scheme of things but it’d mean a lot to students on campus,” he says. The motion passes unanimously. Vale.

Honi Soit March 2, 20166:47 pm

A procedural is moved to go straight to the motions. First up – a motion to endorse the #letthemstay campaign. Kim Murphy (SAlt) speaks to it, followed by Declan Maher of the same parish. Maher, for those who read this week’s gossip column, has been rumoured as the first ever SAlt union board candidate, but he’s been cagey on the issue. 

Civil, considered, heartfelt discussion follows. This is a Dorothy-dixer if ever I saw one. Does the SRC Council hate babies? Nope. 

This means that the SRC will endorse the #letthemstay campaign and will provide refuge to any asylum seeker facing deportation (a la Lady Cliento). 

April Holcombe (SAlt) tells the chair this means “we need to take a photo in support of the campaign immediately”. President Chloe Smith: “we already did that last week”. April: “Oh ok then.”

Honi Soit March 2, 20167:03 pm

The second in the trifecta of SAlt motions this evening asks the Council to support an upcoming March 16 rally against the university restructure, which would involve closing the SRC’s services (casework and legal) for two or so hours. 

Education officer Liam Carrigan (Grassroots) asks Councillors to sign up to “the Thunderclap” – which we understand sends out a mass message from your twitter – and change their cover photo if they’re brave. “You guys got elected off the votes of ‘normal students’, please tell some of them about these changes”, he says. 
In support of the closure, newly anointed councillor Eleanor Morley says it would not “be that big a drama”. She cites precedent – the SRC was shut down all day during 2013’s staff strikes. “I’m surprised this is a controversial thing”. Education Officer Dylan Griffiths says the same. 

General Secretary Lachlan Ward disagrees. “Shutting down services will provide a good gesture” for a cause that he thinks is worthy. “But the fact is,” he says, “there’s a high demand for the legal service and a wait period of 3 weeks, making the two week notice inappropriate. These students are struggling with accommodation and with mental health issues. These appointments have already been made”. He is seconded by Justine Landis-Handley.
Other councillors push for the closure. Ward moves an amendment – consult the legal service and caseworkers. If they’re ok with it, then he is. If not, he will not go against their wishes. 

This is a fairly interesting battle to the stupol nerd. We’re seeing a stark divide between those who see the SRC as declamatory, political body, and a pro bono service provider with a duty to the average student. 

Honi Soit March 2, 20167:06 pm

President Chloe Smith backs Ward, saying she supports the rally but we should ask the caseworkers. “The SRC workers are not scabs, the only reason they wouldn’t want to attend the rally is if they think students are in desperate need of their services”. 

“I understand both sides of the discussion here, but I think consultation with the staff is the best way to go”, she says.

Discussion continues, it is unclear when this will go to a vote. 

Honi Soit March 2, 20167:12 pm

The speaking list is very long but a lot of the arguments have already been said. Here are some tweets. 

Honi Soit March 2, 20167:16 pm

Alex Fitton (Liberal) : “would the SRC be amenable to extending the hours of the SRC by an extra two hours on the day?”
Chloe: “It’s probably not in our EBA”

The council laughs. 

Ward speaks again. He’s not backing down on the importance of the service and the lack of notice.

Finally we vote and the motion to shut down the SRC passes. NLS and Liberals against, SLS, SAlt and Grassroots for.

Honi Soit March 2, 20167:29 pm

The last tabled motion tonight is based on an Honi Soit exclusive from last week (http://honisoit.com/2016/02/islamic-prayer-room-ransacked-and-hate-mail-left/) that revealed the Islamic prayer room on campus had been repeatedly ransacked over the holidays.

Kim Murphy (SAlt) moves to stand in solidarity with Muslim students on campus and to grant the university Muslim society a thousand dollars from the SRC funds. Their motion also tries to tie this into last year’s Colonel Kemp and Jake Lynch controversy, which has been a long-running theme of SAlt’s platform for a while now.  

Lachlan Ward moves a technical amendment – he says he’ll  source the funds from the Interfaith departments, with the SRC Executive to make up the difference they cannot source. His amendment is allowed.
Ed McCann (Liberal) speaks. “These attacks are horrendous and please correct me if I overstep my bounds”, he says, “but the hard left should be careful about calling Islamophobia too easily in tutes and in other speeches”. 

April Holcombe responds. “I wouldn’t be surprised if you guys [Liberals] were behind it. You are scum.”
The Liberals reject this as slander. April: “I used the conditional if“.

Honi Soit March 2, 20167:40 pm

Following the Liberals’ interjections, the discussion has basically derailed into a slanging match about whether the Liberals are racist or not.

A few highlights:

William Dawes (Liberal): “Unfortunately for me, I’m a Catholic and, and this will get a reaction, my bishop was Cardinal Pell”
Cameron Caccamo: “Dmitry [Palmer, Liberal], if you want to talk about religion, maybe use the Interfaith column you left blank in Honi last week”

Honi Soit March 2, 20167:43 pm

The motion carries. $1000 will be given to SUMSA from the SRC and there will be a full page ad in support of the community in Honi next week. 

Honi Soit March 2, 20167:47 pm

We move on to the election of a couple of casual vacancies. 

First off – the Intercampus Officers, who must be students on a campus other than main campus (Cumberland, SCA, the Con). “It’s a very important position,” says Dylan Griffiths

Nobody nominates for it. The office remains empty. 

Honi Soit March 2, 20167:52 pm

Now the aforementioned Kwon/Harris affair kicks off. 

The preamble: On the night of that fateful RepsElect last year, two people, Sam Kwon (rumoured NLS board candidate) and Jaden Harris (Independent) were elected as a joint ticket for the Standing Legal Committee. 
Now the Chair of the Legal Committee (Cameron Caccamo) has ruled this was invalid – not only was Kwon ineligible at the time (neither a councillor not an OB), but joint tickets for this position aren’t actually a thing. 
It’s a bit embarrassing, but hey, it was a busy night.
As of last council, Kwon is now a councillor. But, says Caccamo, we still need to strip them of their position and run the election again, with anyone eligible to stand. 
Two people have put their names forward – Sam Kwon and Jaden Harris. This time they’re going for one position. The ballots are being counted. 
Honi Soit March 2, 20167:54 pm

CORRECTION: After a period of negotation and horse-trading Kwon has not nominated. Instead, Matthew Campbell (SLS) and Harris are the nominees. 

Honi Soit March 2, 20167:59 pm

The two speak to their nominations. It’s short, sweet and incredibly, incredibly dry. Choice quotes: “I want to ensure that any regulation changes adhere to our core goal”. 

The ballots are out, voting is imminent. 

Honi Soit March 2, 20168:07 pm

Harris gets 13 votes, Campbell: 7, Invalid: 3

Harris elected.  

Honi Soit March 2, 20168:13 pm

And after that, SAlt leave the room, with a parting shot at the Liberals and a weirdly cackling laugh that echoes down the Quad stairs. 

Someone calls a quorum count with the intention of going home, but to the room’s horror, we’re actually still quorate. Quick as a flash, Dmitry Palmer (Liberal) literally dashes out the door before the count is finished. 

And we’re done! Thanks for tuning in.

Honi Soit May 4, 20166:23 pm

Welcome to the May SRC liveblog! It’s Star Wars day. It’s the first day of USU physical campaigning and we aren’t sure how many people are going to show up. The agenda is pretty bare. In short – this is an SRC where everyone’s minds are clearly on Other Things.

We’ve been told that with the number of apologies and absences we’ve already received, we should be quorate. But only just.
Your SRC livebloggers yet again, are Mary Ward and Naaman Zhou. We’d like to take this opportunity to ask USyd Debating to please change their goddamn internals dates. Your thing is as fake as ours guys, sorry to drop the truth.

Honi Soit May 4, 20166:25 pm

The count is on. In the past five minutes, prospective USU Board Director Sam Kwon (NLS) – shepherded by in current director/babysitter Jack Whitney – to applause.

Julia counts and we are quorate! 18. Immediately Kwon leaves the room.
We begin – with the bare minimum of councillors present.
Honi Soit May 4, 20166:28 pm

SRC President Chloe Smith (NLS) is in hospital with tonsilitis, so your chair this evening is General Secretary and Indigenous Officer Georgia Mantle (Grassroots).

Elected deputy chair (to replace Mantle) is SRC Exec member Sean Tingcombe (Unity).
“Can I get ANYBODY ELSE to nominate?” shouts a fellow member of Sean’s faction.
No they can’t. He’s up.
Honi Soit May 4, 20166:44 pm

Now here’s something. Georgia Mantle opens the floor to Question Time – the first such Question Time this year (if this reporter recalls correctly). It’s actually very substantive.

Honi editor Mary Ward starts, asking Mantle: “As General Secretary, were you happy with the recently decided SSAF outcome?”
“No,” says Mantle, “we did ask the University for more and were rebuffed.That said, we will survive as an organisation, the lights will still be on, our services will still run. It’s not great but it’s not the end of the world”
Ward: “Given you were unhappy with the outcome, will this affect NUS affiliation?”
Mantle: “We’re still deliberating on that. Give us two weeks to a month, it’ll be cleared up once the budget is prepared and goes to council. Then we’ll have the answer”.

Finally, Ward asks who Smith and Anna Hush (as President and Vice-President respectively) will recommend to fill Simon Hill’s vacancy to the Senate.

“No, given that Choe has been quite ill, it’s probably not on the forefront of her mind”.
Now everyone is asking questions!
Oliver Plunkett (SLS) asks if Exec can please update the council on the co-Vice President (Jamie Rusiti) resigning and whether there will be an election to fulfill the vacancy. He says this resignation was never told to Council and he had to read it in Honi.

Tingcombe answers. The VP has not resigned yet. But it’s close. He will need to move a motion this council, for the resignation to happen next council. There will also be no election. Hush will be sole Vice Pres.

Plunkett: “Any reason why the VP is about to resign?”
Tingcombe: he has not attended a single exec meeting

Finally on to Michael Elliot. “Why were the SSAF results disappointing?”

Mantle: “Looking historically at SSAF results – a trend where the Uni gives a various student union ‘a go’ each year. Part of me wonders if the great result we got last year was the Uni giving us a go, and this year deciding to give another go to another student union.”
That wraps it up. Democracy is cool hey.
Honi Soit May 4, 20166:51 pm
We’re now reviewing the SRC’s expenditure. More questions, the first of which, puts your own beloved editors under the spotlight.
Cameron Caccamo (Independent) points out that Honi recouped about $80 from the SRC [from our own discretionary budget, may we add] to mail our first few issues to other student publications.
“I understand that these other publications send us their issues, so I’m asking – can the Council please be able to view them?”
We respond that it’s fine. Come down Caccs! Help yourself to a Vertigo.
Next, Dmitry Palmer (Liberal) questions why the Educatioon Department was recently reimbursed for “spraycans and wine”.
Education Officer Liam Carrigan (Grassroots) explains it was used for the so-called “saturation party”. “Members of the Education Action Group go to campus on a Sunday night, chalk, spraypaint the grafitti tunnel, have a pizza and share a few drinks.”
Palmer asks: “Was there someone with an RSA there?
Cue shouting in the room. Palmer: “It was an event!” Carrigan: “It’s not an event!” Julia: The whole campus is licensed”
Honi Soit May 4, 20166:52 pm

The General Secretary’s report passes without incident, except for one interesting lil’ kernel.

Someone asks Georgia Mantle if the SRC is budget is currently on track to deliver a surplus.
“No,” says Mantle. “As a not-for-profit organisation, we don’t usually deliver surpluses”.
Honi Soit May 4, 20166:54 pm

In other news, I’ve just discovered you can do emojis on this blog.

Honi Soit May 4, 20167:03 pm

First motion on notice: electoral reform.

It’s a tricky, bundled-together mess. The first part of the motion abolishes the horrendously, really very outdated mention in the regs of the “SRC noticeboard” which either doesn’t exist or nobody uses it anymore.
More interestingly, is a motion, recommended by the electoral officer, Paulene Graham, to only accept physical copies of signatures when it comes to electoral nominations.
Oliver Plunkett wants to amend the motion to allow for digital signatures, i.e: made on iPads, to be allowed. According to the law, he says Plunkett, it’s all valid.

Cameron Caccamo however, is still wary, given that Paulene “historically has not accepted scanned signatures.”
Don’t mind ‘the law’ kids, Paulene is a law unto herself.
Honi Soit May 4, 20167:08 pm

All that talk and we don’t get anywhere. The motion is held over til the next meeting. Half the room wants to go digital (agile…disruptive), the other half don’t really care.

Honi Soit May 4, 20167:13 pm

Now some bureaucratic stuff

Honi Soit May 4, 20167:27 pm
The next motion is to increase the amount of money Paulene Graham receives – to change it from a stipend to a by-the-hour rate, the same which the polling attendants are entitled to.
Dylan Griffiths (Unity) argues strongly for the raise. “We’re a union and we should pay all our workers a fair wage for their work.”

Michael Elliot (Unity) says that “Paulene puts up with a lot of our shit, we should pay her a fair amount”

Georgia Mantle points out that the SRC simply doesn’t have the money.
Jaden Harris (Independent), a member of the Standing Legal Committee, supports paying Paulene more, but explains the tricky legal elements of the motion.

“If she was paid the award rate, she would be a part of the Enterprise Bargaining Agreement. She would then be a staff member, which could create a situation where the election of her employer (the President) would be conducted by their employee.”

He suggests that the way forward is to find money for her in the budget – to increase the stipend without making her an employee.
We go to a vote. The Labor factions vote in favour, Independents and Grassroots vote against.
The motion passes.
Honi Soit May 4, 20167:42 pm

Resident maths whizz, Cameron Caccmo is pointing out on Twitter that thanks to tonight’s motion, the Returning Officer’s job is damn sweet gig.

$37 an hour for a full-time job for 6-8 weeks.

<blockquote class=”twitter-tweet” data-lang=”en”><p lang=”en” dir=”ltr”>If anyone wants to be the <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/usydsrc?src=hash”>usydsrc</a> Returning Officer and get paid ~$37/hr plus overtime, there's still time to sign up I think!!!</p>&mdash; Cameron Caccamo (@CJCaccamo) <a href=”https://twitter.com/CJCaccamo/status/727791102116306944″>May 4, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src=”//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>
Honi Soit May 4, 20167:47 pm

Michelle Picone (SLS) speaks to a motion condemning the University’s failure to address sexual assault. She speaks to the council on the inadequacy of sexual assault support on campus.

“When you go online to report sexual assault, it is the same streamlined portal where you report other complaints like academic misconduct.”
“And when you do report it, the portal tells you to firstly take action yourself, and to approach the person responsible, which is unacceptable when it comes to sexual assault.”
The motion, moved by Wom*n’s Officer and Vice-President Anna Hush (Grassroots) – who is currently absent – is carried.
Honi Soit May 4, 20167:50 pm

Michael Elliot (Unity) calls quorum! Councillors have been steadily filing out of the room since the meeting began, we’ve been inquorate for a while.

Mantle counts and we are at 16 – one under. The meeting is over.
We’ve been Mary Ward and Naaman Zhou, this has been your SRC.
Here’s an update from Caccs to see you home
Student services counters have been closed all across campus. Art: Rebekah Wright.

Student Services

The centre cannot hold

Uni management have centralised student services. Is their takeover working?