CASH for your textbooks at SRC Books

USU Board Meeting Liveblog 4 March

Honi Admin March 4, 20161:40 pm Welcome to the first USU board meeting of 2016! Your faithful editors here are Andrew Bell and Sam Langford. Neither have previous or current political affiliation.  So far, President of the Evangelical Union George Bishop has delivered a speech arguing against USU demands to remove all faith-based requirements for…

debate-620x400
Honi Admin March 4, 20161:40 pm

Welcome to the first USU board meeting of 2016!

Your faithful editors here are Andrew Bell and Sam Langford. Neither have previous or current political affiliation. 

So far, President of the Evangelical Union George Bishop has delivered a speech arguing against USU demands to remove all faith-based requirements for registration with the EU. He cites procedural unfairness of the timeline required by the USU and that the changes would breach international obligations under various treaties. 

USU Vice President Liv Ronan delivered some rapid fire rebuttal immediately following the speech. She argues that no one should be discriminated for any facet of their identity (analogising requiring people to conform to religious requirements with discrimination based on sexuality). Further, that the best way to maximise student involvement would be to remove the requirements. She noted (correctly) that the USU is not a party to any conventions and encourages the EU to take them to the UN if they do hold the belief that the USU is in breach of international obligations. Finally, she addressed what seems to be an implicit concern about atheists stacking the EU by referencing comprehensive anti-stacking regulations. 

USU President Alisha Aitken-Radburn expressed the importance the the USU places in the EU and that she would like the EU to stay in the C&S. She says that the issue has been on the table for five years and there is no procedural unfairness here. 

There will be further discussion on the issue later in the meeting, and the EU are still waiting in the wings. 

Honi Admin March 4, 20162:26 pm

Regulation Changes

Board director Michael Rees has proposed regulation changes relating to restrictions on board members campaigning for candidates in the student elections.

The options on the table were: 

1. ‘Free for all’. No restrictions. Hunger games. The board members would be treated as just another student for the purposes of campaigning. 

2. Keep the regulations from last year. They’re free to do anything but wear and shirt and do ‘walk and talks’ on election days. 

3. To impose stricter restrictions, possibly to the extent of banning all supporting and campaigning. 

They voted for the first option. We’re now back to where we were a year ago. 

The board is currently in camera. 

The 2017 SRC logo with Krispy Kreme's around it.

SRC

The case for a low SES officer

There is one marginalised group lacking representation on the Student Representative Council.