CASH for your textbooks at SRC Books

Elections 2016 live blog – Day 2

Honi Admin September 22, 20169:16 am Goooooooood (maybe) morning!!!!!!! Apologies to those keen punters who awoke in the early morn to follow our seamless coverage of DAY 2 of this year’s (jam packed) edition of Representative Democracy Or Just People Being Mean To Each Other???? Here’s a picture of your dashing team. stronghoniwomen Keep refreshing…

Early Gadigal mornings on Wednesday September 1 as voting kicks off. Early Gadigal mornings on Wednesday September 1 as voting kicks off.
Honi Admin September 22, 20169:16 am

Goooooooood (maybe) morning!!!!!!! Apologies to those keen punters who awoke in the early morn to follow our seamless coverage of DAY 2 of this year’s (jam packed) edition of Representative Democracy Or Just People Being Mean To Each Other???? Here’s a picture of your dashing team. stronghoniwomen

Keep refreshing this page for regularish updates! Go team! Students! Politics! Yaaaay!

Honi Soit September 22, 20169:33 am

It’s calmed down now, but this morning started with a BANG (like a gun shot, because we’re all dying, slowly and painfully). We had about 5 campaigners to every voting student at the Jane Foss Russell booth, particularly as they were walking into the exclusion zone. Our reporter witnessed a student literally running into the exclusion zone to avoid the nasty how-to-vote flinging of hacks.

At Fisher the drama is no less, well, dramatic. Our of our eds witnessed a spat between SIN for Honi comedy editor, Will Edwards and WET for Honi ticket member, Justine Landis Hanley. As Landis Hanley ran off crying, Edwards allegedly shouted “Don’t start arguments if you’re just going to run away from every one crying.” Brutal.

There’s also been an off Gadigal rumbling about dirty election tactics being employed by TIME for Honi. Some have alleged (full disclosure: these reports are from people supporting a different Honi ticket) that TIME have been using the residential college points system to encourage voters. For the punter, college students receive points for various activities, like playing sport and being in the college play (is there a college play? Maybe?) which determine which rooms they get. Using the point system to encourage voting is therefore, effectively, a form of bribery. We’ll update you on the details of that allegation as they (if they) unfold.

Oh, and this Hack Christmas, we also have a Hack Birthday! Happy birthday Justine Amin (BNOC from Labor Right, Stand Up). We tried to get comment but Amin has been going strong up and down Gadigal all morning.
Also, just as I was about to end this post on a nice note (we’re not always “AN HONI THAT HATES YOU”), fellow editor Max Hall recounted his morning conversation with the Electoral Officer, Paulene. Apparently it went like this: “How are they this morning Paulene?” “Rabid.” Cool.

Sorry for this essay length post. I’ll keep it to tweet length in future – you millennials!

Honi Soit September 22, 20169:40 am

Honi Soit September 22, 20169:44 am

Planning a morning study session at Fisher? Maybe use the secret Law Library to Fisher tunnel. Guaranteed no hack presence (they’re not allowed to campaign in libraries)! Can recommend. I use it on the reg to avoid Socialist Alternative (the Special Hacks you can count on every damn day of the week).

Honi Soit September 22, 20169:47 am

There’s also been an off Gadigal rumbling about dirty election tactics being employed by TIME for Honi. Some have alleged (full disclosure: these reports are from people supporting a different Honi ticket) that TIME have been using the residential college points system to encourage voters. For the punter, college students receive points for various activities, like playing sport and being in the college play (is there a college play? Maybe?) that determine which rooms they get. Using the point system to encourage voting is therefore, effectively, a form of bribery. We’ll update you on the details of that allegation as they (if they) unfold.

Honi Soit September 22, 201610:15 am

A bit of probably uninformed analysis (jks I AM ANTONY GREEN): the strongest Honi/SRC partnership is between Stand Up/Ignite and TIME for Honi. Yesterday we reported hoards of college kids turning up to vote at Manning throughout the day. The average student might think “Don’t college students always travel in a pack?” Ah, perhaps, but there’s something (maybe) a bit more insidious going on here.

A do-gooder from the other side reported seeing a notification pop up on a Stand Up campaigners phone reminding them to collect voters from one of the colleges. The voters at Manning were therefore chaperoned there to vote for Stand Up/Ignite and TIME for Honi. The strength of this informal (maybe formal?) deal could have a few implications:
– Georgia Mantle is in trouble. TIME is bringing a higher number of conservative voters to the polls who will all vote for Isabella Brook.
– WET is in a good place. In the (probably unlikely, but still possible) situation where TIME comes third, all their preferences will flow pretty strongly to WET, as their voters seem to be the most fastidious when it comes to following how-to-votes.
– The Liberals will probably not do as well. The colleges have been a strong base for the Liberals, but most of these voters have already been claimed before they get to the voting booth. I guess that’s the bright side?
Also, a Liberal A-frame LITERALLY just nearly fell on top of me. Some might say, “No Subeta, the A-frame has not been programmed to try and kill you.” To those people I say, WAKE UP. The end is near.
Honi Soit September 22, 201610:29 am

Okay, JP Asimakis of TIME for Honi has responded to the claims of exchanging votes for college room points.

“I can say categorically that this is not true, it’s a malicious lie intended to perpetuate the false idea that we are a college ticket. We are the ticket that stands up for ordinary students, there’s no wonder they’re coming out in large numbers.”
Also, on that allegation: it has not been reported to the Electoral Officer, as there is insufficient evidence to make a report at this stage. The requests have (allegedly) been made verbally.
On the TIME for Honi and Stand Up/Ignite deal, here’s some evidence from the Stand Up campaigner group. Another great indication is the photo of Alisha Aitken Radburn’s (Labor Right, Stand Up) ballot which showed her preference order as [1] TIME [2] SIN [3] WET. A cynic might note the overlap between Labor faction members (Michelle Picone on TIME) or Labor party members (Will Edwards on SIN) and preference order.
As a WET for Honi campaigner explained to a voter, “It’s like having Bill Shorten in charge of the media.” Hot take.

Honi Soit September 22, 201610:30 am

Honi Soit September 22, 201610:33 am

Also!!!!!!!! Liam Carrigan, campaign manager of POWER (and senior member of the Grassroots faction) has been BANNED from campaigning from 12pm onwards in response to the text message saga of yesterday.

Quick recap: Carrigan sent messages asking students to vote for POWER and SIN, in breach of the regulation that doesn’t allow a SRC candidate to endorse an Honi ticket. The messages were sent from a SIN member’s (Swetha Das) phone.
There were no ramifications for SIN for Honi.
Honi Soit September 22, 201610:49 am

ALSO there’s some ambiguity about whether or not this ruling has been officially made yet. Carrigan says it hasn’t been. One of our reporters is checking in with Paulene now and we’ll let you know ASAP (we know everyone’s hanging out for this. We will NOT let you down.)
So Paulene will not talk to us, but the ~vibe~ was that an official ruling hasn’t been made as of yet.
Honi Soit September 22, 201610:54 am

OKAY. So we’ve had our first broken deal for the election. WET and TIME fashioned a very official looking contract. Unlike the contracts from my Grassroots days (usually a scrawl on a napkin with a name beneath it) this had termination clauses, Big Law Words and was a testament to TIME for Honi member JP Asimakis’ infamous 96 in Contracts.

Well, it’s all gone to shit. We’ve just been told that WET have broken the deal and have been campaigning with SIN and encouraging voters to preference them. As far as everyone is aware, the WET how-to-votes still have no preference on them, but TIME are still not happy about it.

“They have really performed in a very poor manner in regards to talking to voters and their interactions with other campaigners. We are really sad they didn’t have the integrity to follow through with their commitments,” said TIME for Honi member Michelle Picone.

ALSO, it has started to sprinkle. I am moving to Parma. All hacks with juicy juicy goss, come talk to me there. It is also very cold.

Honi Soit September 22, 201610:56 am

ALSO IT HAS STARTED TO SPRINKLE. I am moving to Parma. All hacks with juicy juicy goss, come talk to me there.
Honi Soit September 22, 201610:59 am

“They have really performed in a very poor manner in regards to talking to covers and their interactions with other campaigners. We are really sad that they didn’t have the integrity to follow through with their commitments,” said TIME for Honi member Michelle Picone.
Also, it has started to sprinkle. I am moving to Parma. All hacks with juicy juicy goss, come talk to me there. And I’m cold.
Honi Soit September 22, 201611:04 am

Update: The People’s Hero Perri Roach has retrieved comment from Fahad.

“I think it’s fair enough to say that we want to work constructively with a team that is closest to our ideology, a team that doesn’t put minorities into boxes, a team that doesn’t come out of an elitist school clique that edits Honi year after year. That’s kind of what we represent and y’know, I’m happy to do walk and talks with anyone, especially if they represent my views.”

Honi Soit September 22, 201611:14 am

Update: comment from WET for Honi on allegedly breaking the deal: “Unfortunately we can’t control all our campaigners but we have re-emphasised that we are not giving our second preferences to any other ticket or encouraging voters to do so.”
Honi Soit September 22, 201611:18 am

More shit.

A very distressed Nina Dillon Britton from SIN for Honi just took a complaint straight to Paulene in the SRC office about WET for Honi ticket member Michael Sun targeting her on the campaign trail. Paulene made an in person, immediate ruling that Sun cannot campaign at the same booth as Dillon Britton for the remainder of the election.

The ruling has not been communicated to Sun yet.
Honi Soit September 22, 201611:32 am

Content Warning: Harassment and Assault

Every year there are downright inappropriate instances of harassment and assault that are usually promptly called out during and immediately after the election, but just repeat themselves year after year.
I’ve already been told that a female campaigner was allegedly pushed up against a wall by a rival campaigner. A student has run into the exclusion zone crying after being swamped by 6 or more campaigners. And all of this is happening whilst Honi tickets campaign on more investigations into sexual assault and harassment on colleges and SRC tickets promise to lobby the University for reform in this area.
The most perverse thing is, this behaviour is a concerted election tactic, so numerous attempts to reform regulations to remedy it, have been voted down or ignored (by just not turning up to meetings) by student politicians. Last year, the Women’s Collective discussed the kind of regulations that could help with this: from requiring students to seek consent before campaigning to the SRC distributing “I have voted” stickers. Suffice to say, these proposed regulations, like those of a similar nature proposed in the past, were not even debated, let alone passed.
Disclosure: I (Subeta Vimalarajah) moved the aforementioned regulations as Women’s Officer, on behalf of the Collective.
Honi Soit September 22, 201611:44 am

So my boyfriend saw that I said I was “cold” on the live blog and brought me a jumper. Humans can be beautiful! There is hope!

But not that much hope. Here’s a screen shot from the Ignite for SRC Facebook page. It features a song likely directed at their rivals, POWER for SRC. Honi Soit will endeavour to provide sheet music as soon as possible to aid your appreciation of this Bach-level content.

Honi Soit September 22, 201611:57 am

Some follow ups on previous coverage.

In the harassment and assault post, we noted a female campaigner was allegedly pushed against a wall yesterday. She’s made a public status regarding this. Here’s a screenshot –

Also, this live blog plug in is often very rude and doesn’t update when I politely ask it to. Fahad provided this comment in response to his Facebook post provided below (which effectively told Stand Up campaigners to support TIME for Honi, against the regs).

Also also, I’m sorry WET for Honi, your comment also was lost in the incompetencies of the internet. WET denied purposefully breaking their deal with TIME and made clear they do not have complete control over all their campaigners, but have not been encouraging them to preference SIN for Honi.

Honi Soit September 22, 201612:14 pm

Content Warning: Harassment and Assault

Honi Soit September 22, 201612:18 pm

Hi there – Max Hall here, taking over the Live Blog reigns from the inimitable Subeta Vimalarajah.

“It’s been real,” Subeta says.

I’ve shifted HQ to the Honi bunker and just polished off the stale remains of my peach and coconut breakfast muffin. We’ve got reporters at each of the booths, hundreds of campaigners misbehaving and one eye on the tweets (hit me @maxjhall).

Will take stock as we move into the lunch hour in just one moment.

Honi Soit September 22, 201612:30 pm

A MIXED BAG OF THINGS:

• There’s a positive glut of TIME for Honi campaigners on the Fisher booth, where I’m told there is just one campaigner apiece from WET and SIN. The strategic intent of this is baffling, but these are indeed strange times.

• Just over 500 votes have been cast at the Jane Foss Russell (JFR) booth so far today. Last year JFR took just 626 votes on day 2. Given we’re just coming into the lunchtime rush this suggests turnout is up!

• TIME for Honi ticket ringleader JP Asimakis’ bag is being minded by Student Unity grumpy uncle Robby Magyar (ex-USU board director, current National Union of Students Welfare Officer).

• A distinct lack of “cafbashing” is taking place. In years past the lunch hour on election days would see droves of campaigners invade Wentworth and Manning food courts in an effort to coax voters to “Just give up one minute of your lunch hour, it’s for a good cause”.

Honi Soit September 22, 201612:35 pm

Hot Barbeque Content™

• TIME for Honi member and President of the Engineering Society Nicholas Dai is hitting the hustings at the engineering booth. This booth is open for a mere two hours between 12 and 2. Interestingly the Engineering Society happens to be holding a barbeque at the moment.

• Dai has been seen working the barbeque line for votes.

• A Beyond Blue charity bbq is being hosted on Eastern Avenue. Here’s a disturbingly cross-factional photo of this event taking place:

Hear of any other cooking on campus? Everything cooked enough already? Hungry? Send me a message.

Honi Soit September 22, 201612:55 pm

ANTONY GREEN IS ON CAMPUS

Antony Green is on campus, spotted up near Footbridge. He was here for a swim. Naaman Zhou chased him down to ask whether he was aware of the elections.

“I gathered,” ANTONY GREEN responded.

Whether the Weather is Better when Wetter?

I’m told things are “rainy, windy and bleak on Eastern Ave”. Our reporter out there is having flashbacks to last year when the elements intervened to give campaigners a rest late in day two of polling. Remember that more rain = low late turnout = better prospects for campaigns that mobilised their ~bases~ early.

Democracy in full (albeit singular) bloom

In our first (and probably last) edition of Campaign Stall Home Decor, the Stand Up stall has a single fake red tulip. SRC President Chloe Smith tells our correspondent it is there for decoration.

Honi Soit September 22, 20161:20 pm

Let’s put a whole lot of disparate things into a list to make them seem organised:

• Things are quiet at engineering, only 62 votes cast so far despite Engineering Soc President and TIME member Nick Dai working the line of a barbeque with some fellow Time campaigners. We hear that WET have complained that the perception of EngSoc endorsing WET breaks regulations. Last year SCOOP for Honi’s campaign (us, lol) was banned for TWO WHOLE HOURS on polling days when two campaigners organised funch in SCOOP shirts. We wonder if the same penalty will apply to TIME.

• Despite this Nick Dai has been banned from Engo booth anyway.

• POWER campaigner and Grassroots factional grandparent Liam Carrigan will be banned from 3pm till close of campaigning for breaking rules against SRC tickets campaigning for Honi.

• Lot’s of St. Andrew’s College kids are voting at Manning. Lots.

It’s fucking bucketing down

Honi Soit September 22, 20161:34 pm

In campaign geography, WET for Honi member Michael Sun has been instructed by EO Paulene Graham not to campaign on the JFR side of City Road.

We’re reliably informed that the Ghost of Christmas’ Past has been doing the Lord’s good work spiriting Liberal A-Frames off into the long night. GCP will be unknown to many of you, but their work, we promise, is iconic. Exactly how many A-Frames have disappeared is unknown.

The lunch hour rolls on and I’m listening to the v v good, v v new Nick Cave at full volume in the Honi dungeon – it’s the vibe:

Honi Soit September 22, 20161:42 pm

The Stand Up/Time romance is deep we hear. Here’s a direct take from our eyes and ears on the ground:

Fahad Ali (Justice for Palestine, Stand Up aligned) interrupts my conversation with three Time campaigners. Says he needs one of them to help him pick up some flyers and tells the other two, “We aren’t getting anyone over the line at Fisher.”

Honi Soit September 22, 20161:46 pm

Let’s take a brief look to the future.

If you’re sick of SRC and Honi elections, you’re in luck. We’re expecting results from the hotly contested races for undergrad and postgrad senate fellows sometime after 4. Follow @honi_soit on twitter for the first results from the ballot room.

Things will get (even more) intense on the ground as voters disappear and would-be elected representatives get desperate. Expect complaints and various instances of monumental stupidity to come thick and fast.

After polls close at 6:30pm we’ll be sticking with you for a little banter and bringing you the first numbers live from the ballot room.

No one deserves five elections in one day, but it’s our burden to bear.

Once more unto the breach.

Honi Soit September 22, 20161:54 pm

FUN FACT

The majority of your Live Blogger’s meaningful romantic relationships have begun during the exhaustion-ridden course of SRC campaigns.

Honi Soit September 22, 20162:10 pm

One polling attendant at JFR (a retired hack and good union figure himself) tells Honi that things have quietened down.

Nearby a Grassroots and Unity pair of campaigners is performing an age old ritual:

“The Greens never get anything done!!”

“The Labor party never does anything!!”

Honi Soit September 22, 20162:39 pm

There’s a bit of a lunchtime lull here at JFR so here are some broad musings on how the next few hours are going to shape up.

The morning route of Gadigal to JFR (heading towards City Rd) is a thing of the past. From now on (and with Manning closing in 90 minutes), the hacks will be loitering on the stretch of Eastern Ave between Fisher and JFR.
Expect them to line up along Manning Rd, or at the base of the City Rd footbridge looking to walk voters across the line as they attempt to go home.
Honi Soit September 22, 20162:49 pm

Fun fact: it has rained every SRC election for the past 3 years (at least)

Honi Soit September 22, 20162:51 pm

Campus ‘comedian’ Jacob Henegan has this update. “Poseidon has clearly endorsed WET for Honi, otherwise it would have been raining upside-down crucifixes or clocks.”

To our knowledge, Poseidon isn’t enrolled, so that’s as clear a regs breach as you’re gonna get.
Honi Soit September 22, 20163:16 pm

We’re hearing unconfirmed reports from Cumbo – 120 votes cast this second day.

Honi Soit September 22, 20163:21 pm

220 votes cast today at Manning! The real surprise being that 220 people went there today.

In all seriousness, Manning has become infamous this election for being a surge point for TIME voters coming in from the colleges. Expect this booth to heavily favour TIME.
Honi Soit September 22, 20163:24 pm
Campaign fashion: Katie Thorburn’s construction helmet. “We’re dismantling the patriarchy and we need adequate safety equipment,” she explained. “We’re constructing a powerful feminist SRC”

Honi Soit September 22, 20163:34 pm

That Manning stat in context. The booth got 150 votes on Day 2 last year, and roughly 210 the year before.

So it’s really last year that’s the outlier (we had an uncontested Pres race and a notably low turnout). The numbers this year are pretty standard, so the TIME surge hasn’t led to a net increase in votes.
Honi Soit September 22, 20163:46 pm

Nothing is happening, voters are largely absent and campaigners are milling around.

So here’s some history behind the Jane Foss Russell Building – your correspondent’s current location and, according to the conventional wisdom, the place where elections are won and lost.
The building / plaza is named after Jane Foss Russell (later Jane Foss Barff), the second woman to attain a Master of Arts from USyd, in 1889. In 1892, she also co-founded the Sydney Uni Women’s Association.

Up until 2008, the plaza was called “Sydney Central”. We reckon JFR is better.

Honi Soit September 22, 20164:07 pm

Incredible news filtering through. Honi can exclusively reveal that Stand Up presidential candidate Isabella Brook’s name is an anagram of “A Labor Obelisk”.

POWER’s Georgia Mantle? “Oatmeal Ginger”.
Incredibly apt.
Honi Soit September 22, 20164:13 pm

OK REAL NEWS:

SIN have been excluded from campaigning for half an hour. They have not yet disclosed the reason, but Honi observed the SIN stall discussing it and Will Edwards in a bit of a funk.
Honi Soit September 22, 20164:17 pm

SIN have been excluded from 4:15 (i.e: now) until 4:45. This means they cannot display A-frames, or be seen in a campaign shirt near any polling booth. Expect to see WET and TIME members either frantically campaigning or trying to snap photos of SIN in breach.

The same thing happened to your current editors during their campaign, albeit for far less dodgy reasons, and to be honest, it didn’t make much difference. The votes, especially in the rain, are not really flowing at the moment. SIN will not lose that much comparatively.
Honi Soit September 22, 20164:24 pm

Will Edwards, unofficial member of SIN, has now donned a Stand Up shirt and is back on the hustings. “I’m not an Honi candidate so it’s not against regs!”

We can also confirm the reason for the exclusion – a SIN campaigner was caught sending an anti-semitic text to a friend. The friend, an Ignite supporter, screengrabbed it and sent it to the RO.
Honi Soit September 22, 20164:36 pm

Here is a statement from SIN’s campaign manager about that text.

“The person was a SIN campaigner – only a campaigner – they made a comment to another SRC campaigner that was inappropriate, in a private capacity in a private chat. That campaigner knows what she said was inappropriate, the ticket knows it was inappropriate, she is apologetic.”
“We understand why Paulene would institute the ban and we are completely compliant. We think its fair, we don’t think that kind of behavior should be endorsed in any kind of campaigning.”
We can confirm most of SIN are sitting outside Parma eating doughnuts.
Honi Soit September 22, 20164:43 pm

Let’s take a minute to reflect on our Returning Officer, Paulene Graham, scourge of campaigners and reporters alike.

Her name is an anagram of “ample harangue”. That is all.
Honi Soit September 22, 20164:52 pm
How’s Stand Up prez candidate Isabella Brook feeling? “Dead inside”, she told TWO of our reporters.
Meanwhile SIN are BACK. Daniel Ergas comes to the table and tells everyone to get moving, a minute later Will Edwards blitzes through shouting motivational catchphrases.
Honi Soit September 22, 20165:01 pm

2014 Honi editor Georgia Kriz is out and about campaigning for Stand Up.

In other hat news, here’s Left Action’s Declan Maher with co-ordinated campaign beanie. It’s from SUPREME, which is a skater brand. “I love brands,” says Declan.

Honi Soit September 22, 20165:03 pm

THE FISHER BOOTH IS NOW CLOSED

That means there’s only one place left to vote – JFR (see our previously posted history of the plaza).
All the campaigners are upping sticks to crowd out this narrow, slippery patch of land in what is always a terrible occasion. Be prepared for hordes, swarms and very very few actual votes cast.
We have an hour left to go.
Honi Soit September 22, 20165:05 pm

Senate candidate George Bishop, waiting on the result of his own election, is now at JFR in an Ignite shirt.

Honi Soit September 22, 20165:10 pm
There’s been a spat between Fahad Ali and a Left Action campaigner, with the latter questioning the former’s pro-Palestine SRC platform. “I want to change it from within,” says Fahad, about the Labor party.
Honi Soit September 22, 20165:17 pm

Bit of a kerfuffle at the line as Dylan Williams, of Student Unity decides he’s none too pleased with a cameraman (who is here filming a stupol documentary). He spends about a minute holding a piece of paper up to the camera lens in a silent, annoying protest.

Then he gives up.

Honi Soit September 22, 20165:35 pm

According to JFR booth attendants, there have been more than 800 votes cast there today. This is a huge turnout for a second day, which is traditionally much quieter. Anecdotally, booth attendants say it’s basically as busy as day one.

Also, while your correspondent was voting, I overheard a few college TIME voters clearly navigating their first ever ballot.
“Where’s TIME on this?” they asked, as they unfolded the giant SRC council ballot and spun it a few times. It wasn’t there. They voted for Simpsons.

Honi Soit September 22, 20165:44 pm

I’m here with Will and Pat Ryan from Twins for Tickets. Good on them.

As for their chances, they’re upbeat. “Twins for Tickets is expecting to hold the balance of power in the next SRC. You may now call us Nick Xenophon.”
Honi Soit September 22, 20165:49 pm

About 10 minutes left! Nothing is happening, there is an almost impenetrable wall of campaigners of all stripes blocking the line.

Honi Soit September 22, 20166:03 pm

POLLS HAVE CLOSED

The campaigners are shouting and throwing their how to votes in the air. The customary group cheer of Solidarity Forever echoes over Jane Foss Russell plaza.
Follow along for the results as they come, this was an incredibly hotly contested race and it’ll go down to the wire.

In other news, we’ve heard preliminary results of the Senate race. Keep an eye on that, it’s juicy.
Honi Soit September 22, 20166:22 pm

What now? Stick with us. We’ve got some excited coverage planned for the rest of the night. In the mean time we’ll attempt to update you with some posts here.

For those who missed the update on our Facebook page, Senate election results have been emailed to candidates. The undergraduate student representative (pending very very likely challenges to his election) is Colin Whitchurch. Whitchurch was the prime offender of regulation breaches (soliciting votes by coercing students in libraries). The second offender, Francis Tamer, has come in close second place.
One of our eds, Sam Langford, is about to head to the counting room in Old Teacher’s College. She’s just got to finish up with her mug of gin first.
Honi Soit September 22, 20166:35 pm

Sam was rebuffed at the door. Counting has not yet started as ballots are still being collected.

Max Hall mansplains the process to me: all the sealed ballot boxes from the day are being separated into four election piles (as one of the boxes contains the ballots for both NUS and SRC council). At this point, no vote is being counted or considered. They are being separated face-down in preparation for counting.
Max also did not mansplain this to me. He is a Good Man Feminist Man. When the separating is done, Sam will be allowed in to scrutineer/leak the results to you, our loyal readers.
Apparently only 33 of you are reading this at the moment. Thanks for your support. Our days are ending, every bit of readership warms our hearts!!!!!!
Honi Soit September 22, 20167:04 pm
Here are the total votes cast from the counting room. These are not confirmed, there’s just quick counts.
Prepoll – 623
SCA – 53
Con – 60
Manning – 719
Fisher – 1185
JFR – 1648
Engineering – 88
Cumberland – 310
Manning – 468
TOTAL – 4435
The total is a lot more than last year (3426) but pretty close to 2013 (4737).
Honi Soit September 22, 20167:10 pm

All the campaigns are either on their way to, or have reached, their after party locations. In the interests of complete transparency, here they are!

SIN for Honi – Two Wolves. Interesting choice for this ticket given Two Wolves is basically just an appendage to the Catholic chapel on the corner of City Road and Broadway. It’s also run by Jesuits who largely hail from Riverview and St Aloysius.

TIME for Honi – The Rose. I want to make a joke about The Bachelor/The Bachelorette but I can’t quite figure it out. Something about Georgia Love is a journalist. Oh, nope, Mary’s got something better. Ignite are there! Clearly they’re both at The Rose because they’re in LOVE (consistent with reports of a preference deal through the day). We got there in the end.

WET for Honi – Victoria Park, but heading to the bar at Broadway, the Off Broadway Hotel. No, we haven’t heard of it either.

Stand Up – We don’t know where they are. If you believe in freedom of information, please let us know. The people need to know.

Grassroots – The Royal. Seems pretty IRONIC for people who hate the monarchy, eh????? Yup, it’s been a long day.

Honi Soit September 22, 20167:30 pm

Those little sneaks from Twins for Tickets have offered us a deal. We need to report that they are at The Rose (which no one except Mary and I cares about). In exchange, they’ve told us where Stand Up is. They’re also at The Rose.

Mystery uncovered. We can all go to sleep now. NOPE! Results are a-comin’ and we have *DRUMROLL PLEASE* some interactives for you to follow the action in Real Time.

Thank you to our lords and saviours Max Hall and
Sam Langford for putting this baby together. Check it out at: honisoit.com/elections2016 It might be five before it’s live!

And that’s it from this live blog. No thanks to this shitty website for being shit. We won’t miss all the times you didn’t update when we asked you to.

Honi Soit September 22, 20167:35 pm

OKAY ALRIGHT WE WERE GOING TO GO BUT THEN THIS HAPPENED –

Julie, you are the best! Have a great night. Your son is a lucky boy.

The 2017 SRC logo with Krispy Kreme's around it.

SRC

The case for a low SES officer

There is one marginalised group lacking representation on the Student Representative Council.