NUS NatCon 2018: Live!

Join us from Ballarat for all the latest on the floor at NatCon 2018.

47478058_461699267690113_1352528073873948672_n
Honi Soit December 13, 20189:24 pm

NatCon 2018 comes to a close

After the conclusion of candidate speeches, NatCon 2018 officially comes to a close. Thanks for following along.
Honi Soit December 13, 20186:20 pm

Will Edwards (NLS) gives candidate speech for Disabilities Officer

The candidate begins by calling disabilities activism “the forgotten cause”, highlighting the minimal input by several factions into the Disabilities Faction.
The lack of counselling services at universities, USyd in particular, is noted and condemned. The speaker also condemns the inefficiency of the NDIS.
Edwards commits to fighting the “pervasive pattern of ableist behaviour” in the NUS and at NatCon in particular, and highlights the corrosive effects of such behaviour on some delegates’ mental health. The aggressive and intimidatory tactics used by certain delegates and factions at NatCon are condemned to rapturous applause.
Edwards declares his intention to fight without repose for disabilities causes in 2019 to further applause from the entire floor.
Honi Soit December 13, 20186:14 pm

Alfred Lowe (Unity) gives candidate speech for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Officer

The candidate thanks the floor for the honour of serving as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Officer in 2019, and also takes time to thank several members of their faction.
The candidate speaks to his intention to plan protests against deaths in custody in 2019.
In a dig at the now absent SAlt, the speaker says that Indigenous rallies are no place to sell Red Flag.
The speaker also commits to changing the name of the office to ‘First Nations Officer’ in 2019. The speaker concludes by thanking “God, Ernie Dingo and the SDA”.
Honi Soit December 13, 20186:11 pm

Jordan Mumford (Unity) gives candidate speech for National Small and Regional Officer

The speaker notes the many challenges facing rural and regional students, including access to public transport and educational resources, and declares his intention to work closely with rural and regional students and student organisations to champion the interests of S&R students.
The candidate thanks his faction, Unity, as well as the outgoing office bearer, Jordon O’Reilly. The speaker criticises SAlt as they leave the conference floor.
Honi Soit December 13, 20186:08 pm

Sarah Tynan (NLS) gives candidate speech for National Women’s Officer

The candidate speaks with outgoing officer, Kate Crossin (NLS), sitting directly in front of the podium.
The candidate reiterates the importance of many of the campaigns run this year by the National Women’s Officer. In addition, the importance of a task force for campus sexual assault is emphasised.
The candidate concludes by declaring her eagerness for the role, and by embracing Crossin.
Honi Soit December 13, 20186:04 pm

Adriana Malavisi (Unity) gives candidate speech for National Welfare Officer

Adriana Malavisi (Unity) gives her speech as incoming National Welfare Officer.
Malavisi’s speech is interrupted considerably by ongoing protest from SAlt, this time directed at GI.
The candidate emphasises the role of the NUS in standing up for the welfare of students, and the need to ensure the election of a Labor Government in 2019.
The speaker begins to thank the outgoing office bearers, but is interrupted by SAlt, who are chanting “burn down the colleges!” en masse. A large number of SAlt delegates are named by the chair and asked to leave.
The candidate concludes by thanking Unity and declares her pride in her faction.
Honi Soit December 13, 20185:59 pm

A motion is carried to extend the session past 6pm until candidate speeches are done.

Lachlan Barker (NLS) concludes his National Education Officer Speech very briefly.
Honi Soit December 13, 20185:51 pm

Steven Blacker (NLS) gives candidate speech for National Queer Officer

The speaker begins by thanking the outgoing Queer Officers, Kim Stern (SAlt) and Jasmine Duff (SAlt).
The importance of defending Safe Schools is noted, as well as the importance of saving Amyl. The speaker highlights the importance of continuing the campaign against gay conversion therapy, a topic the outgoing officer spoke about at length.
The speaker concludes by encouraging activists to contact and work with the LGBTI Department over 2019.
Honi Soit December 13, 20185:47 pm

Unity takes to the podium to commend the bloc. The chair notes that the bloc has in fact already been passed.

There is a motion to move a number of miscellaneous motions en bloc without discussion, which carries.
Honi Soit December 13, 20185:44 pm

SAlt takes to the podium. The previous NLS speaker points them out as the one who made the comments earlier this morning. “Shame!” yells every faction but SAlt.

Honi Soit December 13, 20185:43 pm

A motion is moved to discuss the previous bloc.

NLS says it is “disgraceful” that a large number of disabilities policies are not discussed until the end of conference because of “ableist factions in this union”.
A second speaker from NLS condemns SAlt to rapturous applause for allegedly trivialising mental illness in comments made to the speaker earlier this morning.
“Fuck ableists,” the speaker concludes.
Honi Soit December 13, 20185:38 pm

Disabilities bloc passed

A large number of disabilities motions is carried en bloc with no discussion.
Honi Soit December 13, 20185:38 pm

The bloc passes, with only one abstention from a Liberal delegate.

Honi Soit December 13, 20185:37 pm

SAlt defend their actions with reference to the protests and campaigns conducted in 2019 but the National LGBTI Department.

Honi Soit December 13, 20185:36 pm

Almost the entire LGBTI Chapter is moved en bloc

SAlt take the podium to admonish NLS, decrying the fact that one of the outgoing Queer Officers is not allowed to be present for discussion of the LGBTI Chapter.
NLS take to the podium to second the bloc and condemn SAlt for their stalling tactics earlier in the afternoon.
GI take to the podium and ask why it has taken so long and been so difficult to get to the LGBTI Chapter.
Unity take to the podium and point out that most motions are moved by either Unity or NLS, and condemn SAlt specifically for “not giving a fuck about queer students”. The speaker calls SAlt “a bunch of fuckwits” for delaying discussion of the LGBTI Chapter, to rapturous applause from all factions bar SAlt.
Honi Soit December 13, 20185:30 pm

New session opened at 5:29pm

The session is opened with a motion to move straight to the LGBTI Chapter.
Honi Soit December 13, 20185:21 pm

Delegates attempt to initiate new session

Degates are now filing into the conference floor once again to start a new session.
Honi Soit December 13, 20185:14 pm

Session lapsed

Quorum was not regained after 30 minutes, meaning the session has now lapsed. The entire LGBTI Chapter and several Disabilities motions are still undiscussed. There is no more time scheduled for debate after 6pm.
Honi Soit December 13, 20184:43 pm

Jacob Cripps informs Unity that they may leave to have a dart in the interim if they wish. A large number of delegates leave.

Honi Soit December 13, 20184:42 pm

Quorum has been lost. There is now 30 minutes to regain quorum before the conference floor will be closed.

Honi Soit December 13, 20184:38 pm

Honi understands that Jasmine Duff (SAlt) has been ejected not only from the conference floor, but from the grounds of Federation University itself. We understand that it may be in relation to comments made to a member of NLS.

SAlt refused to comment on the matter.
Honi Soit December 13, 20184:25 pm

Lachlan Barker (NLS) resumes their candidate statement for National Education Officer

Barker speaks to the importance of fully-funded, free higher education. The hostility of the Coalition Government to publicly funded higher education is noted.
Barker commits to expanding the portfolio of the Education Department to fighting against trimesters and unpaid internships alongside free education.
SAlt sardonically cheer Barker and drown him out. It is understood that SAlt are particularly opposed to Barker’s election owing to the fact that Education Officer is often held by SAlt, as in the case of outgoing officer Con Karavias.
Pace ejects SAlt delegate Anneke D’Emanuele. The candidate’s speech is once again paused. Music is playing through the speakers. Proceedings have stalled yet again. At this point it seems unlikely that sufficient time remains to get through all of the LGBTI Chapter.
Honi Soit December 13, 20184:15 pm

What is happening

There are no signs that we will return to debate soon. The same Ariana Grande song is playing on loop. A member of SAlt just tried to sell us copies of Red Flag.
Honi Soit December 13, 20184:10 pm

Lachlan Barker (NLS) (begins to) give candidate statement for National Education Officer

Lachlan Barker begins his statement, but is interrupted by Jasmine Duff (SAlt). Duff approaches Mark Pace, who named her, to protest. Prolonged efforts are made by SAlt to prevent Duff’s ejection. Ariana Grande is played through the floor speakers.
The floor is in chaos. Nobody seems in any rush to get back to debate. Less than two hours remain to finish the LGBTI Chapter before the conference floor closes.
Honi Soit December 13, 20184:02 pm

SAlt moves another motion from the floor to give a candidate statement, taking the opportunity to speak against the far right.

Honi Soit December 13, 20184:00 pm

Michael Iroeche (Unity) gives candidate statement for General Secretary

Iroeche emphasises the need to be “vigilant and proactive” in defending the interests of students in 2019, but also warns that the NUS must remain “relevant” to affiliated organisations.
“Increasing affiliations and keeping the budget in surplus is what the NUS needs to stay focused on,” Iroeche explains.
“We need to be an organisation fighting for real student issues. The NUS puts these problems at the forefront, protecting us from irrelevancy.”
“Even though sometimes it gets heated … we’re all fighting for students’ rights. We have different ways of going about it, but our goal is the same.”
Iroeche thanks his faction, Unity, as well as the ALP. Iroeche concludes by declaring that he is looking forward to working with fellow office bearers in 2019.
Honi Soit December 13, 20183:53 pm

Desiree Cais (NLS) gives President candidate statement

Cai stresses the importance and potential of the NUS, and the role it must play in the federal election.
Cai acknowledges that the NUS has lost the faith of some student institutions, referring presumably to ANUSA’s decision not to reaccredit.
Cai concludes by thanking the floor for the honour of leading the NUS in 2019.
Honi Soit December 13, 20183:38 pm

Outgoing Small and Regional Officer James Callow gives final report

Callow thanks his faction, Unity, and congratulates the incoming Officer Bearer, Jordan Mumford (Unity).
Callow condemns SAlt for only moving two motions in the S&R Chapter, and for “making shit memes” about him all year.
Callow notes that many of the campaigns run by the NUS, including those to raise the rate of Centrelink payments and those against sexual assault, are also pertinent to small and regional students, and commends fellow office bearers for their work.
Callow thanks a number of fellow members of Unity, including outgoing NSW State President Connor Wherret, and Adriana Malavisi (both USyd). Callow congratulates Malavisi for allowing NSW to “finally have an office bearer it can be proud of”, to laughs from Unity.
Callow concludes by thanking his faction once again.
Honi Soit December 13, 20183:32 pm

Outgoing Disabilities Officer Kayla Dickenson gives final report

Dickenson (NLS) speaks on the ‘Join the Fight – Demand Disability Rights’ campaign, which focused on a fully funded NDIS, campus counselling and disabilities services, accessible campuses, and funding mental healthcare.
Dickenson thanks her faction, NLS, and wished the incoming Office Bearer (Will Edwards, NLS) well.
Honi Soit December 13, 20183:28 pm

Outgoing Ethnocultural Officer Hersha Kadkol gives final report

Hersha Kadkol (SAlt) speaks briefly on the campaigns of the Ethnocultural Department over 2018, before pivoting to condemn Unity for its voting record during the Ethnocultural Chapter last night.
Kadkol returns to talking about the campaigns and events of 2018. Protests conducted against Pauline Hanson and Fraser Anning are noted. Kadkol condemns Scott Morrison, noting that though he is not Peter Dutton, he is “still a fucking racist”.
The increased visibility of the NUS is also noted as an achievement of the Ethnocultural Department in 2018.
Kadkol concludes to cheers from SAlt.
Honi Soit December 13, 20183:22 pm

Outgoing National Queer Officers Kim Stern and Jasmine Duff give final report

Stern (SAlt) takes to the podium to speak on the achievements of the two National Queer Officers.
Stern notes the campaigns conducted this year against gay conversion therapy, bullying on campus, and gender-inclusive bathrooms.
The rise of the far right is noted as a salient threat to the rights of LGBTI students and people. Stern notes the impact of personalities like Trump, Bolsonaro and others in normalising anti-queer attitudes, and emphasises the importance of protesting the right in defending LGBTI students.
Stern concludes by imploring the audience to join campaigns against the right in rebuilding the NUS.
Duff (SAlt) takes to the podium to speak on the history of the LGBTI Department. Marriage equality is noted as an issue which has been campaigned for by the LGBTI Department for over a decade, sometimes against the will of factions within the NUS.
The LGBTI Department’s protest against transphobia is brought up again. Duff recounts an incident during the rally in which a person pointed out a church in Melbourne that was known for conducting gay conversion therapy. It is explained that the rally then protested on the steps of the church.
“The only reason we did this is because we have political ideology that says ‘going too far’ and ‘being disrespectful’ is bullshit!” Duff says of SAlt’s decision to protest the church, and more broadly, their approach to activism.
Honi Soit December 13, 20183:10 pm

Outgoing National Women’s Officer Kate Crossin gives final report

Crossin (NLS) notes a few particular achievements, including condemning Charles Waterstreet, lobbying major parties for a task force for campus sexual assault, and a National Day of Action for sexual assault.
Crossin also speaks on the topic of residential colleges.
“Colleges are disgusting institutions that need to be shut down.”
“They might have hundreds of years of history and hundreds of thousands of dollars behind them, but we will shut them down.”
Crossin takes time to thank her faction, NLS, as well as Unity and Grassroots Independents, and thanks them for their support.
Crossin thanks Jacob Cripps and Jordon O’Reilly (Unity) for “teaching [her] how to roll a dart.”
Crossin thanks outgoing President Mark Pace (NLS), as well as the “guiding principles of feminism, socialism, unionism and democracy.”
“For anyone who doubted me, and thought I couldn’t do this work, I want to say ‘fuck you and suck shit’.”
Honi Soit December 13, 20183:04 pm

Outgoing National Welfare Officer Jordon O’Reilly gives final report

O’Reilly speaks first on the raisetherate campaign, which lobbied major federal parties to increase the rate of Newstart and Youth Allowance payments. O’Reilly notes that Labor will conduct a review into Newstart payments, and that the Greens have already committed to raising the rate by $75 a week.
O’Reilly gives a number of thank yous, including to his own faction, Unity, and to outgoing National Women’s Officer, Kate Crossin. O’Reilly also commends outgoing National President, Mark Pace (NLS), and outgoing General Secretary, Jacob Cripps (Unity).
Honi Soit December 13, 20182:56 pm

Outgoing Education Officer Con Karavias gives final report

Con Karavias takes to the podium to speak about his tenure as National Education Officer.
“I’m really proud of the work I’ve done, and the work my comrades have done, fighting against the far right in this country.”
“The vitality of the Books not Bombs campaign needs to be built on, needs to be expanded,” Karavias says.
Karavias goes on to criticise the Labor party and the “uncritical” support given my Labor factions within the NUS. Karavias condemns Unity for its voting record during the Ethnocultural Chapter, specifically for voting down a motion condemning the “it’s ok to be white” motion moved in Federal Parliament by Pauline Hanson.
Karavias speaks to NLS. “If you think you can change your faction from within, you should do that. If you don’t think you should do that, you should fight with us, for the left.”
Honi Soit December 13, 20182:51 pm

Outgoing General Secretary Jacob Cripps gives his final report

Cripps notes the achievements of the 2018 President’s Summit, which trained National Office Bearers in being leaders in the student movement.
“Orientation Week is the best opportunity to meet students and affiliates,” Cripps advises incoming National Office Bearers.
Cripps also notes the increased transparency of the NUS achieved through the publication of minutes, Policy Books and other documents on the NUS website.
Cripps boasts that, since gaining a majority on the National Executive, the NUS has achieved “better financial stability”, before warning incoming National Office Bearers not to get complacent with budgetary surpluses, and reminds them that the NUS remains heavily dependent on affiliation fees.
Speaking to SAlt, Cripps claims to have found a “weird appreciation for [them]”, and compliments them as the “backbone” of the NUS, but recommends that they choose “less radical policies”. “I’m still not buying a subscription to Red Flag,” he notes.
Cripps commends and thanks his own faction, Student Unity, for their support and hard work.
“I would like to thank God, the SDA and the Queen,” Cripps concludes.
Honi Soit December 13, 20182:43 pm

Outgoing President Mark Pace gives final report

Outgoing President Mark Pace takes the podium and gives his final report.
Pace notes the surplus of $133,000 reported by the NUS this year and thanks outgoing General Secretary, Jacob Cripps (Unity). He recommends that in the future, budgetary surpluses are used to remunerate currently unpaid National Office-Bearers.
Pace also boasts increasing the administrative transparency of the NUS, noting that minutes, reports and media releases are now readily available.
Pace concludes by wishing incoming President Desiree Cai (NLS) well. “You are one in a million,” he says.
Honi Soit December 13, 20182:36 pm

Conference floor opens and National Executive announced

The 2019 National Executive will be:
Cat Abourzik (Unity)
Sheldon Gait (Unity)
Max Kennedy (Unity)
Noah Beckmann (Unity)
Braedon Waddell (Unity)
Kai Donaldson (Unity)
Nicholas Pagonis (Unity)
Jack Hinchliffe (Unity)
Ella Gvildys (Unity)
Tanika Sibal (GI)
Lincoln Aspinall (GI)
Katt Hatzi (NLS)
Honi Soit December 13, 20182:34 pm

Leila Clendon (SAlt) elected as Adelaide University Campus Representative

After SAlt receieved and used a number of Liberal ballots which were proxied to and then passed on by Unity, Leila Clendon (SAlt) was elected as Adelaide University Campus Representative over David Elliott (NLS).
Normally the election of Campus Representatives is a fairly uncontroversial affair, however NLS have not neglected this opportunity to admonish SAlt for “dealing with the Libs”. NLS have noted particularly the fact that SAlt spent a considerable amount of the Ethnocultural Chapter chastising NLS for allegedly failing to stand up to Unity for voting against a motion that condemned the “it’s ok to be white motion” moved by Pauline Hanson in the Federal Senate earlier this year.
SAlt have defended their decision to use Liberal ballots.
Honi Soit December 13, 201811:51 am

Update from the ballot room

Ballots are being cast this morning for Adelaide Campus Representative and National Executive.
Honi understands that the Liberal delegates proxied their 12 ballots for Adelaide Campus Representative to Unity, but that Unity then passed those ballots onto SAlt. SAlt are allegedly aware that the ballots are from the Liberals, but are likely to use them anyway, meaning their candidate (Leila Clendon) will likely be elected over the NLS candidate (David Elliott).
More to come.
Honi Soit December 12, 201810:03 pm

Session closed

Chair Kate Crossin declares the conference floor closed for the evening at 10:01pm. See you tomorrow for the final day. Finally.
Honi Soit December 12, 201810:02 pm

Will Edwards (NLS) takes to the podium to discuss the next bloc of motions, but instead declares that he’s going to “do a Trot”, referring to SAlt’s practice of speaking on past motions.

The speaker condemns the practices of SAlt, which he argues undermine the accessibility of the conference.
The bloc, which concerned supporting the NDIS, student carers and congratulating disability access protesters, is eventually passed.
Honi Soit December 12, 20189:59 pm

The bloc is passed.

Honi Soit December 12, 20189:57 pm

Disabilities chapter opened

Kate Crossin (NLS) will chair the Disabilities Chapter.
The disabilities chapter is opened with a number of motions moved en bloc by NLS.
Speakers from NLS and Unity both admonish SAlt for the practice of shouting at and heckling, arguing that it disregards students with disabilities.
SAlt criticises NLS for allegedly being “defended” by Unity. Heated verbal conflict ensues between the two factions. A number of SAlt delegates are named by the Chair.
Honi Soit December 12, 20189:47 pm

Another bloc of motions is moved regarding international student welfare, including international student access to Medicare and concession travel cards.

The motion is passed.
Honi Soit December 12, 20189:42 pm

Another bloc of motions concerning the welfare of international students is moved by Unity.

The speaker notes that optional trimesters, which NLS voted down earlier in the conference, accommodate international students by allowing them to effectivley reduce their workload without violating their VISA requirements.
The bloc passes
Honi Soit December 12, 20189:40 pm

Two motions moved en bloc concerning support for international students in gaining English proficiency are moved by Unity. The bloc passes.

Honi Soit December 12, 20189:36 pm

International chapter opened

Lily Campbell (SAlt) moves the first motion of the chapter, which condemns the exploitation of international students. The speaker notes that for international students, degrees can often cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Unity speaks on the motion. The speaker condemns a platform point of the motion which calls for free education for all students, including international students.
The motion carries.
Honi Soit December 12, 20189:27 pm

Debate resumes. Daniel Rodriguez (NLS) requests that the floor “get this over with” and pass the motion on opposing the racist law and order campaign in Victoria.

The motion passes.
Honi Soit December 12, 20189:24 pm

Chaos

Conference floor is awash with verbal confrontation. SAlt indiscriminately accosts members of NLS and Unity alike. The Chair threatens to name people, without specifying who. Security is roaming the room, conferring with Secretariat in an attempt to identify the numerous delegates that have been named.
Honi Soit December 12, 20189:20 pm

SAlt moves a motion condemning the “racist law and order campaign in Victoria”.

Desiree Cai (NLS) commends the motion.
Debate quickly devolves into a diatribe from SAlt towards NLS, in a very similar fashion to much of the debate during this chapter. SAlt continues to condemn NLS for failing to condemn Unity on its voting record in this chapter.
Heated verbal confrontation erupts between SAlt, and NLS and Unity. Anneke Demanuele is named three times and asked to leave the room.
Honi Soit December 12, 20189:15 pm

Debate between SAlt and NLS continues. The content of the motion has been all but abandoned.

Eleanor Morley (SAlt) condemns Labor Left and the Gillard Government and their offshore detention policies.
The motion passes.
Honi Soit December 12, 20189:12 pm

Hersha Kadkol (SAlt), speaking on a motion supporting access to higher education for refugees, condemns NLS and invites them to the podium to condemn members of Unity for their voting record during the Ethnocultural Chapter.

Daniel Rodriguez (NLS) condemns NLS for allegedly hijacking the motion to condemn NLS.
SAlt accosts the speaker from the seats for over a minute.
The speaker from NLS attempts to speak to the content of the motion.
“If you care about refugees as much as you say you do, at least give us a space to talk about this,” he states.
Honi Soit December 12, 20189:06 pm

A motion supporting the Solidarity Now/Genocide Awareness campaign is commended by speakers from GI and AUJS. The speaker from AUJS emphasises the importance of recognising and raising awareness of the Armenian genocide.

SAlt speaks in favour of the motion.
The motion is carried unanimously.
Honi Soit December 12, 20189:02 pm

The bloc is carried.

Honi Soit December 12, 20188:58 pm

A large number of motions are moved en bloc.

Dashie Prasad (GI) speaks on a motion noting that student politics is very white. The speaker notes that, looking around the room, there are many white faces, and that student politics needs to diversify to better represent students.
Honi Soit December 12, 20188:55 pm

Two motions are moved en bloc, one condemning Islamophobia, the other racial discrimination and violence.

The bloc passes.
Honi Soit December 12, 20188:49 pm

A motion is moved by SAlt condemning Fraser Anning, the federal senator who proposed a “final solution” on Muslim immigration.

NLS supports the motion.
A member of Unity speaks against the motion. The member clarifies that they do condemn Fraser Anning.
The member goes on to explain that “there is no need to drag the LNP and the ALP into it”, referring to a platform point which condemns the ALP’s support for the “racist war on terror”.
The motion carries. Unity votes against the motion. Chants of “refugees are welcome, racists are not” from SAlt.
Honi Soit December 12, 20188:41 pm

A speaker from SAlt takes to the podium to speak to a motion condemning Luke Foley, former Leader of the Opposition in the NSW Legislative Assembly, and his comments about the “white flight” out of Western Sydney. The speaker condemns NLS and Labor Left for failing to immediately eject Foley from the faction following the comments.

A speaker from NLS says that NLS is “absolutely ashamed of everything Luke Foley has done”.
Debate turns once again to the argument between SAlt and NLS. SAlt asks NLS, “what are you going to do?”
Over dinner today, several members of SAlt and NLS got into heated verbal conflict over NLS’ approach to free education and the 2019 federal election.
The bloc, which includes a motion condemning the proposed practice of resettling migrants in rural areas, is carried, with Unity voting against.
Honi Soit December 12, 20188:35 pm

A large number of motions is moved en bloc. The motions call for the establishment of Ethnocultural Departments at individual student unions and multilingual consent modules, amongst other related motions.

The bloc is carried.
Honi Soit December 12, 20188:31 pm

A motion is moved by SAlt condemning antisemitism.

Kim Stern (SAlt) condemns an unnamed member of Unity for allegedly laughing during the motion.
A member of AUJS speaks in favour of the motion.
The motion is carried unanimously.
Honi Soit December 12, 20188:31 pm

Kim Stern (SAlt) condemns an unnamed person for allegedly laughing during the motion.
The motion is carried unanimously.
Honi Soit December 12, 20188:27 pm

A motion is moved by SAlt commending the activist efforts of the 2018 Ethnocultural Department and endorsing the adoption of a similar approach for 2019.

NLS commends the motion, noting that the Ethnocultural Department may benefit from more on-campus organisation.
A member of Unity criticises outgoing Ethnocultural Officer Hersha Kadkol for not coordinating closely with campus OBs. Some verbal confrontation ensues.
The motion passes.
Honi Soit December 12, 20188:19 pm

Another motion is moved by Grassroots Independents condemning the same motion from Pauline Hanson.

The speaker individually names every Senator that voted for the motion, concluding with an emphatic “fuck you!”
NLS commends the motion.
Unity votes against the motion. Hearty condemnation from SAlt. The motion carries.
Honi Soit December 12, 20188:15 pm

A motion is moved to condemn Pauline Hanson and all the Federal Senators who voted for the “it’s OK to be white” motion in October this year. The motion is called condemned by speakers from SAlt and NLS.

The motion passes.
Honi Soit December 12, 20188:10 pm

Ethnocultural chapter opened

The chapter is opened with a bloc of motions that speak to fighting the far right, condemning the Federal Coalition policy that proposes to resettle migrants in rural areas, and fighting the Antipodean Resistance, a neo-Nazi hate group.
The bloc passes.
Honi Soit December 12, 20188:02 pm

A motion is moved to promote the inclusion of Aboriginal voices in complaint resolution procedures at universities.

The motion is carried with only one abstention from a Liberal.
That concludes the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Chapter.
Honi Soit December 12, 20187:58 pm

A motion is moved to condemn the Berejiklian Government’s change to NSW adoption laws which allows adoption without parental consent.

The motion is carried unanimously.
Honi Soit December 12, 20187:56 pm

A motion is moved to increase the number of Indigenous teachers teaching Indigenous knowledge.

The motion is moved.
Honi Soit December 12, 20187:54 pm

A motion is moved for the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Officer to be paid.

The motion is carried with only two Liberals voting against.
Honi Soit December 12, 20187:51 pm

Another motion condemning the use of the acronym ATSI is moved.

It is carried with unanimous support, bar two abstentions from Liberals.
Honi Soit December 12, 20187:49 pm

A motion is moved to recognise the Union of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Students as the peak representative body for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.

The motion is carried unanimously.
Honi Soit December 12, 20187:47 pm

A motion is moved to condemn the use of the acronym ATSI. The speaker emphasises the outdated nature of the term, and the fact that it homogenises First Nations people and fails to account for differences between peoples and cultures.

The motion is carried unanimously.
Honi Soit December 12, 20187:44 pm

A motion is moved by to abolish Australia day. Criticism is directed at SAlt.

“You are not the great white hope of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Check your white privilege … SAlt, I’m calling you out on your racism. Stop speaking for First Nations people.”
The motion is carried, with one Liberal delegate voting against.
Honi Soit December 12, 20187:31 pm
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander chapter opened

Ethan Taylor (GI) will chair the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Chapter.

Honi Soit December 12, 20187:26 pm

Evening session (almost) opened

The evening session of NatCon Day 3 begins as it did in the morning – with everyone asked to pick up a piece of rubbish before commencing.
Honi Soit December 12, 20185:49 pm

Session closed

It is not officially called, but Honi understands that the session is indeed closed. See you after dinner.
Honi Soit December 12, 20185:48 pm

Speaking on a spontaneous motion about punch, as in, the beverage, outgoing General Secretary Jacob Cripps speaks past the allotted speaking time and is named three times and ejected.

SAlt stand up and leave the room. A flurry of ejections are made. Chair Jordon O’Reilly appears to be engaged in banter with Unity. A succession of ejections are made. The rest of the delegates begin to leave and it becomes apparent that the session has drawn to a chaotic end.
Honi Soit December 12, 20185:42 pm

A motion is moved by NLS in support of a universal student income.

SAlt seconds the motion, but does not miss the opportunity to admonish NLS for its support of Federal Labor. The speaker argues that if NLS are in support of socialist policies like the one the motion proposes, they should make their support for a Labor Government contingent on such policies.
Unity speaks against the motion, calling it “middle class welfare” and a “scab motion”.
James Newbold (NLS) speaks to defend NLS from attacks by SAlt. He claims that they do put pressure on Labor to adopt policies like the one in question.
The motion carries, with Unity voting against.
Honi Soit December 12, 20185:34 pm

A motion is moved by SAlt opposing the privatisation of public housing in Victoria. The speaker maligns the Daniel Andrews government for “smashing” public housing, for which the waiting list is 30,000 applications long.

The motion passes despite objection from Unity.
Honi Soit December 12, 20185:24 pm

The aforementioned bloc is passed.

Honi Soit December 12, 20185:24 pm

Outgoing National Women’s Officer, Kate Crossin, is ejected from the building for unruly behaviour.

Chants of, “will I ever see your face again? No way, get fucked, fuck off!” from Unity.
Honi Soit December 12, 20185:22 pm

A bloc is moved by Unity concerning the provision of vocational job training, and student employment on university campuses.

After speakers for the bloc from Unity take the podium, SAlt speaks against the bloc. The speaker argues that the NUS should not be a service provider, but should rather be organising activist campaigns.
The service provision/activism debate is well underway. A speaker from Unity uses their right of reply to argue that a good student union provides welfare services for its members, rather than just “sitting around protesting”.
Honi Soit December 12, 20185:11 pm

The bloc carries.

Honi Soit December 12, 20185:09 pm

NLS move a bloc concerning youth wages and the underpayment of students.

Unity seconds the bloc and speaks to the effect of wage theft and underpayment on students.
Quorum is again lost, this time for about a minute.
SAlt speaks against the motion, using the opportunity to criticise the Labor Party and question its support for youth workers.
Honi Soit December 12, 20184:59 pm

The bloc is passed.

Honi Soit December 12, 20184:56 pm

A bloc of three motions is moved by NLS. The motions consider counselling services for students, student tenancy exploitation and mental health first aid at events.

Quorum is lost for approximately five seconds during consideration of the bloc.
Honi Soit December 12, 20184:48 pm

A motion is moved against Federal Education Minister Dan Tehan’s proposal that protesters be fined for their demonstrations.

The proposal came after organisers from USyd’s Wom*n’s Collective organised against Bettina Arndt in September. The policy is aligned with the French Review, a federal review of free speech on university campuses.
A speaker from Unity speaks against the motion, which contains an action point that commits the NUS to financially support protesters who incur fines. “The NUS is not your personal piggy bank!” the speaker declares to SAlt.
The motion fails, with both Unity and NLS voting against.
Honi Soit December 12, 20184:39 pm

The motion for raising Centrelink and giving it to all students is passed, with objection from Unity.

Honi Soit December 12, 20184:35 pm

James Callow (Unity) takes to the podium to tear down USyd delegate Eleanor Morley (SAlt).

“All this policy will do is put more money into the hands of people like Eleanor Morley, who owns a Porsche!”
Honi Soit December 12, 20184:32 pm

A member of Unity speaks against the podium. The speaker takes issue in particular with platform point 2 of the motion, which promotes the provision of Centrelink to “all students on enrolment.”

The speaker points out that they don’t want “the richest of the rich” receiving welfare, and that any more welfare expenditure will endanger the free education that SAlt has championed all conference.
Honi Soit December 12, 20184:26 pm

SAlt take the podium to move a motion entitled “raise Centrelink and give it to all students”. The speaker criticises the stagnation of Centrelink payments in real terms over the past 20 years, despite uninterrupted economic growth.

Honi Soit December 12, 20184:20 pm

A litany of speakers from SAlt admonish NLS whilst speaking on the motion for migrant welfare. The speakers criticise NLS’ support for the federal Labor opposition in light of deals like the one passed with the Liberals.

The motion passes, with Unity and Liberals voting against.
Honi Soit December 12, 20184:18 pm

Anneke Demanuele (SAlt) moves a motion supporting the provision of welfare to migrants. SAlt admonish Labor for doing a deal federally with the Liberals to withhold Newstart payments from migrants for four years after their arrival.

Daniel Rodriguez (NLS) speaks in support of the motion.
Honi Soit December 12, 20184:00 pm

Another bloc is moved, this time concerning cashless welfare and improving Centrelink accessibility.

A speaker from NLS highlights the disproportionate effect of cashless welfare on First Nations people.
James Callow (Unity) speaks against cashless welfare. “It is not the Government’s place to decide what you can purchase … it is truly disgusting.”
Honi Soit December 12, 20183:49 pm

The bloc carries.

Honi Soit December 12, 20183:43 pm

Another bloc of welfare motion is moved by Unity. The motions consider bystander training, domestic violence in the student population, the provision of crisis housing, and child care centres for parent-students.

Mark Pace (NLS) outgoing President, speaks in favour of the motion. He speaks in particular to the importance that university is accessible to parent-students.
Honi Soit December 12, 20183:35 pm

The bloc is passed.

Honi Soit December 12, 20183:34 pm

A speaker from Unity stands to move a number of welfare motions en bloc.

Will Edwards (NLS) stands to speak in support of the block, emphasising in particular the proposed establishment of a National Welfare Week.
SAlt speaks against the bloc, arguing that Welfare Week, an initiative run at USyd this year by the SRC, is a “farce”, and that a National Welfare Week will be a “national farce”. Adriana Malavisi (Unity), who was instrumental in organising the USyd Welfare Week, accosts the speaker in protest.
Honi Soit December 12, 20183:21 pm
Unity’s sausage fest

A speaker from Unity moves a “fucking good motion” to change the Food Charter at Deakin University to allow for the distribution of barbecued goods, including sausages. The Charter is described as “un-Australian”.

One of the three Liberals at the conference takes to the podium to second the motion.
Kate Crossin (NLS) speaks against the motion, taking time to condemn the name of the motion (“Deakin Sausage Fest!”).
Jacob Cripps (Unity), outgoing General Secretary, speaks in support of the motion, and notes that six out of the seven delegates from Deakin are Unity, with only one being NLS.
The motion carries.
Honi Soit December 12, 20183:11 pm
Welfare chapter opened

Jordon O’Reilly will now chair the Welfare Chapter.

Honi Soit December 12, 20183:07 pm

A speaker from GI moves a motion calling for better translation services for sexual assault and harassment reporting. NLS seconds the motion.

Another speaker form NLS emphasises the importance that international students have their experiences heard.
The motion carries.
Honi Soit December 12, 20183:03 pm

NLS moves a motion to include non-binary people in women’s spaces. The motion is commended by a number of speakers from NLS.

A speaker from Unity takes to the podium and apologetically opposes the motion. The speaker explains that they have total support for male-presenting non-binary people, but claim that for some women, the presence of male-presenting people in women’s spaces can be confronting.
A speaker from NLS takes the podium to admonish the previous speaker from Unity. “This is transphobic bullshit, I will not listen to this,” the speaker says.
The motion carries, without support from Unity.
Honi Soit December 12, 20182:49 pm

Madeline Lucre (NLS) takes to the podium to move a motion to support sex workers.

“If your feminism excludes sex workers, it’s trash,” she states. “It should be a respected form of work.”
Dashie Prasad (GI) seconds the motion.
Grace Dixon (Unity) speaks in support of the motion, but emphasises the importance of regulation in protecting sex workers.
The motion carries with support from NLS and Unity, objection from the Liberals and abstention from SAlt.
Honi Soit December 12, 20182:42 pm

Emily Sagolj (Unity) takes to the podium to move a motion to support a Women in Higher Education week, a week which celebrates the Bluestockings movement.

The motion passes without the support of SAlt, who argue that the movement does not properly address the systemic sexism within university institutions.
Honi Soit December 12, 20182:37 pm

Unity moves a motion to support women in sport.

One speaker notes that there is minimal financial support for women who travel interstate and internationally to play sport.
The motion carries with support from all, bar the Liberals, who abstain.
Honi Soit December 12, 20182:32 pm

A motion is moved by Unity to support women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). Adriana Malavisi, newly elected National Welfare Officer for 2019 from USyd, speaks in favour of the motion.

The motion calls for the NUS to lobby vice chancellors to introduce scholarships for women in STEM degrees.
Sophie Kerrigan (NLS) also speaks in favour of the motion. “We should be active in ensuring that women are participating in both undergraduate and postgraduate STEM study.”
The motion carries unanimously.
Honi Soit December 12, 20182:25 pm

National Women’s Officer Elected

The National Women’s Officer in 2019 will be Sarah Tynan (NLS).
Honi Soit December 12, 20182:24 pm

Afternoon session open

The afternoon session is opened at 2:22pm.
Honi Soit December 12, 20181:07 pm

Session closed

The morning session of Day 3 of NatCon is closed at 1:07pm. We’ll be back after lunch at 2pm.
Honi Soit December 12, 20181:05 pm

A motion is moved opposing the restructure and cuts to women’s studies, and to work with the NTEU in doing so.

The motion carries, with Liberals voting against.
Honi Soit December 12, 201812:55 pm

GI moves a motion in favour of providing an open source guide for student leaders around the country on dealing with and preventing incidents of sexual assault and violence.

Daniel Rodriguez (NLS) commends the motion.
Like most motions from the Women’s Chapter, this motion does not have any speakers against.
The motion carries unanimously.
Honi Soit December 12, 201812:49 pm

A bloc is moved and carried in favour of the provision of sanitary products and pap smear tests.

Honi Soit December 12, 201812:45 pm

SAlt moves a bloc in favour of equal pay for women, free childcare and inclusive campuses for student-parents.

A speaker from NLS commends the bloc and notes that the barriers to studying for student-parents are blatantly patriarchal.
The bloc is carried.
Honi Soit December 12, 201812:35 pm

The motion in favour of mandatory consent modules carries unanimously.

Honi Soit December 12, 201812:33 pm

A speaker from Unity commends the motion. The speaker emphasises in particular the need for consent modules that accommodate international students.

Honi Soit December 12, 201812:32 pm

NLS moves a motion in favour of mandatory consent modules.

USyd’s consent module, introduced this year, faced criticism from student activists, who were aggrieved that the University did not implement the RDVSA ‘Sex and Ethics’ module, which is evidence based and specific to Australian students. The University instead implemented ‘Consent Matters’, a module geared towards UK students, which is not evidence based.
Honi Soit December 12, 201812:28 pm

Update from RO

The RO has announced several new positions:
Newcastle Campus Representative: Kearnie Ann Kelly
WA State Branch President: Chris Hall
The remaining contested positions are the National Executive, the National Women’s Officer (contested by Aesha Awan and Sarah Tynan), and Adelaide Campus Representative (contested by Leila Clendon and David Elliot).
Honi Soit December 12, 201812:26 pm

The bloc carries.

Honi Soit December 12, 201812:24 pm

A bloc is moved by SAlt that includes motions against the Proud Boys, men’s rights activists and Bettina Arndt.

Arndt was the subject of intense protest at her visit to USyd in September this year.
The founder of the Proud Boys, Gavin McInnes, had his visa rejected recently by the Home Affairs Department after significant lobbying by activists. The Proud Boys is a far-right white nationalist group from the USA.
Honi Soit December 12, 201812:15 pm

The motion carries.

Honi Soit December 12, 201812:11 pm

A Unity speaker takes to the podium to speak against the motion. The speaker notes that they are a rural student, and that colleges provide accommodation for students who relocate to study.

“I think that there should be a cultural change, but I do not think that we should be burning them down, and that’s why I’ll be voting down this motion,” the speaker concludes.
Honi Soit December 12, 201812:09 pm

SAlt speaks against the reformation of the colleges.

“It is not a few things around the edges, it is ingrained into the culture,” the speaker states, in reference to the widespread sexual assault and hazing of residential colleges.
Honi Soit December 12, 201812:06 pm

Angela Griffin (NLS) takes to the podium to speak against residential colleges. The speaker notes that in addition to systemic misconduct, the colleges are also examples of institutional elitism and would be better replaced with affordable student housing.

“Burn the colleges to the ground,” Griffin concludes.
Honi Soit December 12, 201812:03 pm

NLS moves a motion in support of letherspeak, a campaign against laws in the Northern Territory and and Tasmania which prevent survivors of sexual assault from publicly sharing their stories.

Unity takes to the podium to speak in favour of the motion, delivering a brief but emphatic endorsement of the motion.
The motion passes unanimously.
Honi Soit December 12, 201811:59 am

NLS moves a bloc calling for the establishment of a national taskforce into sexual assault in residential colleges and universities. The speaker condemns Federal Education Minister Dan Tehan for shelving the program and instead pursuing a review into freedom of speech.

The bloc passes unanimously.
Honi Soit December 12, 201811:53 am

A Unity speaker takes to the podium to speak strongly in favour of the motion. The student explains that they have lived in a residential college this year, and that the stories heard in the media are true.

The motion carries with unanimity.
Honi Soit December 12, 201811:49 am

Molly Willmott (NLS) seconds a motion moved by NLS against the misconduct of residential colleges around the country. The speaker points out that, in addition to sexual violence, college hazing practices involve “just violence”.

SAlt speaks in favour of the motion and calls the hazing rituals of some residential colleges “psychotic”. The speaker suggests that that these colleges are the places that raise Australia’s “elite”, and that the practices of the colleges speak to the controversies and misconduct seen in State and Federal Parliament. The speaker names USyd’s St Pauls as one of the “worst” residential colleges in the country.
Honi Soit December 12, 201811:43 am

Annabelle Romano (Unity) takes to the podium and claims that women in the right feel bullied by the left faction of Labor. The speaker criticises NLS for bringing 15 women’s motions en bloc.

Incoming President, Desiree Cai (NLS) defends NLS’ actions by pointing out that substantial amounts of policy often go undiscussed at NatCon, and that moving en bloc is sometimes the only practical solution.
The motion carries, with SAlt absatining.
Honi Soit December 12, 201811:37 am

NLS moves a motion to condemn delegates from NatCon 2017 for failing to provide adequate time to discuss the Women’s Chapter. The speaker names Unity in particular for failing to provide quorum. The speaker notes that there was no time left to discuss issues such as campus sexual assault, in the same year that the AHRC report on the topic was released.

The speaker invites Unity to speak against the motion, which the speaker claims is an explicit condemnation of them.
Honi Soit December 12, 201811:29 am

The motion to establish and run the first NUS Women’s Officers’ Summit in 2019 passes.

Honi Soit December 12, 201811:25 am

Quorum has been lost during discussion of an NUS Women’s Summit. Chair and outgoing National Women’s Officer Kate Crossin implores delegates to be respectful of the proceedings. Quorum is regain within a minute or so.

Honi Soit December 12, 201811:22 am

GI take to the podium to speak against Jeremy Buckingham, a NSW Greens MP who has been accused of sexual assault by Ella Buckland.

NLS speaks in favour of the motion, which also mentions Luke Foley, the former Leader of NSW Labor who was accused of sexual assault by ABC journalist Ashleigh Raper.
Unity and SAlt also take to the podium to speak against the presence of perpetrators in parliaments around the country.
“If you know you are in a faction where there are abusers, you need to kick them out,” says Angela Griffin (NLS).
The motion is carried, with all voting in favour but the Liberals, who abstain.
Honi Soit December 12, 201811:12 am

The pro-choice block carries.

Honi Soit December 12, 201811:03 am

NLS takes to the stand to speak to a pro-choice bloc.

“To be progressive, we must be pro-choice.”
“We are!” protests a member of Unity.
Notably, Greg Donnelly, a member of the NSW Legislative Assembly in the right faction of Labor, criticised pro-choice activism and attempted to intervene in confidential university investigations concerning pro-choice activists at USyd this year.
Honi Soit December 12, 201810:50 am

A motion is moved by Grassroots Independents to ensure that the 2019 National Women’s Officer works with and supports campus Women’s Officers by distributing an updated Women’s Officer Handbook. The motion emphasises the importance of autonomous collectives and organisation on campuses.

Dashie Prasad (GI) takes to the podium to speak to the need to pass on information between generations of organisers and activists.
The motion carries.
Honi Soit December 12, 201810:43 am

The motion to include non-binary people in women’s spaces and activism carries with the support of all but Unity and the Liberals.

Honi Soit December 12, 201810:42 am

NLS takes to the podium to reject Unity’s assertions. The speaker calls the exclusion of male-presenting people from women’s spaces a “blatant example of transphobia”. The speaker notes that trans women may present as male.

Honi Soit December 12, 201810:39 am

Unity takes to the podium to criticise the practice of including male-presenting individuals in women’s spaces. The speaker explains that women’s spaces should be reserved for women-identifying people to feel safe.

Honi Soit December 12, 201810:36 am

CONTENT WARNING

We advise readers of our coverage that the content of the women’s chapter includes references to sexual assault and harassment, and abortion.
Honi Soit December 12, 201810:35 am

Daniel Rodriguez (NLS) takes to the podium to speak in favour of a motion to include non-binary people in the actions of the NUS. Rodriguez emphasises the importance of specifying preferred pronouns as regular practice at events like NatCon.

Honi Soit December 12, 201810:25 am

Outgoing Women’s Officer Kate Crossin (NLS) will chair the Women’s Chapter.

Honi Soit December 12, 201810:22 am
Disabilities Officer announced

The NUS Disabilities Officer in 2019 will be USyd’s own Will Edwards (NLS).

Honi Soit December 12, 201810:21 am

Session open

After a quick tidy of the room, the conference is declared open at 10:21am.
Honi Soit December 11, 20189:58 pm

Session closes at 9:57pm

The floor will open again tomorrow morning at 10am. The Womens and Welfare chapters will be discussed.
Honi Soit December 11, 20189:52 pm

Two motions are moved as a bloc by SAlt and NLS. The motions condemn funding cuts to small and regional campuses, and the delivery of teaching through digital mediums over face-to-face. The bloc carries.

Honi Soit December 11, 20189:46 pm

Bye Connor

Connor Wherrett, outgoing NSW State President, is named three times for unruly behaviour and is asked to leave. Wherrett reenters the room to “get his laptop”. Unity fawn over their outgoing convener with chants of “we love you, Connor”. Music briefly erupts from the floor speakers.
Felix Faber (NLS) resumes speaking, and is instructed that he may restart his time. Cries from Unity at this allowance.
Honi Soit December 11, 20189:42 pm

Outgoing National Small and Regional Officer, James Callow (Unity), is cut off while discussing the effects of his mental health on his performance as an Office Bearer this year. Callow asks outgoing President, Mark Pace, whether he will really cut him off while talking about such a topic. Pace confirms that he will, and that the speaking limit was passed through the Business Committee by Unity.

Honi Soit December 11, 20189:29 pm

A brief excursion to the Indigenous chapter is made. A motion against the Federal Government’s proposition that a nuclear waste dump be established in South Australia with minimal consultation with Indigenous locals is moved. The motion passes with objection from Liberals only.

Honi Soit December 11, 20189:19 pm

A motion is moved by Unity calling for the 2019 Small and Regional Officer to encourage investment in regional Australia to create jobs for STEM graduates. The 2019 National Small and Regional Officer is Jordan Mumford (Unity).

Honi Soit December 11, 20189:14 pm

The motion “Ban fracking in WA” passes. Unity votes against it.

Honi Soit December 11, 20189:12 pm

“Fracking has so much to offer. Jobs!” says one Unity speaker. “Say it loud, say it clear, fracking is welcome here.”

Honi Soit December 11, 20189:08 pm

A motion against fracking in Western Australia is moved by SAlt. The speaker is drowned out by Unity shouting.

NLS speaks in favour of the motion for the sake of “a better future”.
Unity finally takes the podium to speak against the motion. The speaker screams emphatically about the ability of fracking to “drag the economy out of a recession” and to “create jobs”. Chants of “frack, frack, frack” from Unity.
Honi Soit December 11, 20189:03 pm

A bloc of motions, again moved by Unity, is discussed. The motions call for better access to public transport for students of small and regional campuses. Speakers from both Labor factions speak in favour of the motion.

SAlt takes issue with the action point, which calls for lobbying. SAlt suggest protests are a more effective means.
Unity uses its right of reply to argue that in regional areas, “letter writing is the only thing that gets things done”.
The bloc is carried unanimously.
Honi Soit December 11, 20188:57 pm

The bloc, which concerns regional access to mental health and other services, passes unanimously.

Honi Soit December 11, 20188:53 pm

Debate moves onto the Small and Regional chapter. Discussion begins with a bloc moved by Unity. A speaker from Unity condemns other factions for failing to contribute to the chapter as much as Unity.

Honi Soit December 11, 20188:50 pm

EDU 4.2 Trimesters are not an option passes.

Honi Soit December 11, 20188:47 pm

A motion condemning optional trimesters, such as those introduced by Curtin University, is discussed. A speaker from NLS condemns Griffith University and the notion that trimesters support student learning.

Honi Soit December 11, 20188:40 pm

A motion is debated condemning the funding cuts enacted by the federal government to ‘non-career related programs’. The motion particularly affected students of the Diploma of Languages at ANU.

The motion is passed with unanimous support, bar the 3 Liberal delegates.
Honi Soit December 11, 20188:35 pm

The bloc against the national interest test passes.

Honi Soit December 11, 20188:27 pm

SAlt move a motion against the national interest test for academic research. The motion refers to the former Education Minister Simon Birmingham’s decision to block 11 research grants on the ground that they were not in the national interest.

Honi Soit December 11, 20188:23 pm

The motion against Adani carries.

Honi Soit December 11, 20188:14 pm

A Liberal has taken the podium to discuss the school climate strike. He argues, somehow, that the strike was a failure, and that the children who stayed in school did so in support of coal.

Honi Soit December 11, 20188:11 pm

SAlt and NLS are speaking on a motion against the Adani coal mine. NLS notes that, in addition to environmental damage, the Adani coal mine poses a risk to workers, owing to Adani’s history of employee mistreatment.

Honi Soit December 11, 20188:01 pm

A motion in condemning the University of Queensland for accepting donations from Dow Chemical Company, a company tied to weapons manufacturing and environmental vandalism.

Unity defend UQ, arguing that the money accepted from Dow goes towards student resources.
The motion carries.
Honi Soit December 11, 20187:45 pm

Speakers from NLS and SAlt deal bi-partisan criticism to the French Review, a review proposed by Federal Education Minister which seeks to investigate supposed infringements on free speech by protesters. The motions are also considered en bloc with a motion against Dan Tehan’s suggestion that protesters should be charged for the security fees their demonstrations incur.

The bloc is carried.
Honi Soit December 11, 20187:37 pm

NUS Office-Bearers announced

The RO has announced the NOBs for 2019. They are:
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Officer: Alfred Lowe (Unity)
Ethnocultural: Hersha Kadkol (SAlt)
LGBTI: Tess Dimos (SAlt) & Steven Blacker (NLS)
Small & Regional: Jordan Mumford (Unity)
Education Officer: Lachlan Barker (NLS)
Welfare Officer: Adriana Malavisi (Unity)
General Secretary: Michael Iroeche (Unity)
President: Desiree Cai (NLS)
Honi Soit December 11, 20187:23 pm

Session open

The evening session for the second day of NatCon 2018 is declared open at 7:22pm.
Honi Soit December 11, 20186:01 pm

Session closed

We’ll be back after dinner at 7pm.
Honi Soit December 11, 20186:00 pm

NUS says no to Ramsay

Two motions against the Ramsay Centre were passed unanimously en bloc.
Honi Soit December 11, 20185:58 pm

Unity speaker declares that is “shameful” that there are factions within the NUS who want to “let you choose what you want”. He states that a Bill Shorten Labor Government is the only reasonable option for students at the 2019 Federal Election.

Honi Soit December 11, 20185:53 pm

EDU 4.23, detailing the NUS’ federal election campaign, passes with support from Unity and NLS. SAlt votes against. The motion enumerates a number of policies to be conducted by the NUS during and in the lead up to the election, including protests and enrolment drives.

Honi Soit December 11, 20185:51 pm

Misc SAlt

Outgoing President Mark Pace tells a “miscellaneous SAlt member” to sit down.
Honi Soit December 11, 20185:45 pm
Back to free education policy

Felix Faber (NLS) speaks out against running a campaign that centres around free education. He points to progressive drug policy as one of the many policies the NUS’ federal election campaign should centre.

Lily Campbell argues that support for candidates in the federal election should not be given unless they support free education, and that the NUS should reflect this position. According to her, the election of a Bill Shorten government would make no difference to the welfare of students.
Honi Soit December 11, 20185:38 pm

The amendment proposed by SAlt fails. The motion on the NUS’ federal election campaign will now be considered without the amendment.

Honi Soit December 11, 20185:36 pm

Emma Norton named three times

SAlt is arguing with outgoing President Mark Pace over the naming of SAlt member Emma Norton.
Honi Soit December 11, 20185:32 pm

SAlt accuses NLS of “giving the Labor Party a black cheque” to do whatever they want once in government in response to accusations that SAlt’s refusal to support Labor is tantamount to supporting the Liberals.

Honi Soit December 11, 20185:26 pm

SAlt is arguing for an amendment to a motion proposed by NLS. They are seeking to amend the motion to stipulate that the NUS encourage students not to vote against any candidate that does not support free education.

Desiree Cai (NLS) takes the podium to argue against the amendment, arguing that though NLS supports free education, the NUS should still support Labor in the upcoming election.
Honi Soit December 11, 20185:09 pm

President Mark Pace pauses to instruct SAlt delegates and observers to sit down. Honi counts almost a dozen Unity delegates who are also standing, who but go unaddressed.

Honi Soit December 11, 20185:07 pm

The bloc against weapons manufacturers passes.

Honi Soit December 11, 20185:02 pm

Announcement from the RO

New positions have been announced.
SA State President: Ali Mohammad Amin
VIC State Branch President: Samuel Roberts
VIC Education VP: Elizabeth Jackson
NSW State President: Alexi Cassis
NSW Education VP: Lily Campbell
Campus representative positions have also been announced:
Deakin: Emily Sagolj
Swinburne: Andrew White
Monash: Jesse Clifton
Honi Soit December 11, 20184:55 pm

A speaker from NLS describes as weapons manufacturers “war-mongering fuckwits” and suggests that governments should be funding universities rather than arms manufacturers.

Honi Soit December 11, 20184:52 pm
Unity 🖤s weapon manufacturers

A Unity speaker claims that “weapons manufacturers are absolutely the friend of students … stifling weapons development is a net loss to students and mankind as a whole.”

Honi Soit December 11, 20184:40 pm

The motion against trimesters passes, along with a motion that supports the right of staff to strike, both pass en bloc.

Honi Soit December 11, 20184:38 pm

Debate on trimesters drags on. SAlt reiterates points from 20 minutes ago, calling trimesters a “neoliberal attack on universities”.

Honi Soit December 11, 20184:27 pm

Another Unity speaker advocates for trimesters, citing their effect on revenue – “the market knows what it wants,” he declares.

Honi Soit December 11, 20184:24 pm

Unity speaks in favour of trimesters. The speaker argues that trimesters give students greater freedom of choice, as universities are able to employee staff during off-peak times of the year.

Honi Soit December 11, 20184:21 pm

School’s out for summer

A speaker from SAlt argues that not only should the NUS be opposed to trimesters, but also to summer schools. The speaker argues that summer schools are also reflective of the corporatisation of universites.
Honi Soit December 11, 20184:02 pm

Motion on arms divestment

SAlt move a motion to continue the books not bombs campaign into 2019. The campaign was run by NUS Education Officer, Con Karavias. This year, former USyd SRC Education Officer Lara Sonnenschein reported on USyd’s ties to the arms industry.
Honi Soit December 11, 20183:50 pm

Motion on lecture recording

Unity moves a motion in favour of recording all lectures at universities.
NSW State President Connor Wherrett speaks in favour of the motion, and shames SAlt, who he claims oppose the policy on the grounds that it enables universities to cut back staff expenditure.
The motion carries, with SAlt voting against.
Honi Soit December 11, 20183:45 pm

The motion on free education failed. Unity voted against, and NLS abstained.

Honi Soit December 11, 20183:40 pm
Motion on free education

SAlt move a motion in support of free education. The motion calls on the NUS to commend the Greens for supporting free education, and to invite the ALP to adopt the same policy.

Unity speaks against the motion. The speaker argues that early childhood education should be the priority of education policy.
Lachlan McGregor (NLS) blasts the Greens, calling them “scabs” who “turn their back on students whenever they’re given the chance”.
Honi Soit December 11, 20183:24 pm
Motion on freedom of speech
SAlt takes the podium to move a motion in support of free speech on campus. The speaker refers to an incident which occurred at USyd, in which the former Women’s Officer, Maddy Ward, was suspended after protesting a Life Choice stall at O-Week. The speaker also references Dan Tehan, federal Minister for Education’s proposal to force protesters to pay for security costs.

Unity take to the podium speak against the motion. The speaker argues that the motion will enable the far right to protest on campus.
SAlt takes the podium again, speaking directly to Unity’s argument, arguing that authoritarianism will only benefit the right.
Unity takes the podium and argues that protesting the Ramsay Centre while supporting a motion on freedom of speech is hypocritical.
NLS speaks in support of the motion. Lachlan Barker (UTS) seeks to refute the claim that expanding free speech will enable the far right by arguing that hate speech is not protected under freedom of speech.
Unity take the podium and argue that SAlt are guilty of the hate speech they decry.
SAlt takes advantage of its right of reply to argue that expansion of freedom of speech on campus is the best and most effective way to fight the far right.
The motion carries with Unity voting against.
Honi Soit December 11, 20183:05 pm

After slightly tangential debate, the EdCon motion passes with unanimous support.

Honi Soit December 11, 20182:56 pm

NLS speakers Lachlan Barker and Desiree Cai take to the podium to champion holding an Education Conference 2019. EdCon is traditionally held annually by the NUS.

Honi Soit December 11, 20182:44 pm

Lachlan Barker (NLS) speaks to the motion and argues that student issues extend beyond just free education.

A speaker from SAlt responds to accusations that the motion in question, which calls for support for candidates which support free education, is a ‘vote Greens’ motion. The speaker clarifies that the motion is in support of no particular party or candidate, but simply calls on the NUS to champion the policy of free higher education.
Honi Soit December 11, 20182:33 pm

Education chapter opened

SAlt takes the podium to discuss the NUS’ approach to the 2019 Federal Election. The speaker speaks out against the bi-partisan neoliberalisation of education and the NUS’ history of campaigning for the ALP at federal elections.
USyd’s former Education Officer, Lily Campbell (SAlt), draws attention to the Gillard Government’s cuts to higher education, and argues that unless Labor Left champions free education, it should not be supported by the NUS. Another member of SAlt, Maddie Powell, invites NLS to clarify whether it does in fact support free education.
Unity takes the podium and argues that free education is a “waste of time” and favours those who “already have everything handed to them”. Cheers from the Unity bloc.
Desiree Cai (NLS) takes the podium to clarify that NLS does indeed support free education. The delegate goes on to clarify that they do not support the notion that a campaign for the ALP should be contingent on the adoption of a policy of free higher education.
Honi Soit December 11, 20182:17 pm

Conference opens for afternoon session

The conference is declared open at 2:15pm. An Event Organiser reiterates the no filming policy.
Honi Soit December 11, 20181:02 pm

Session closed for lunch

Session will resume at 2pm.
Honi Soit December 11, 201812:56 pm
A bloc of motions moved by NLS concerning raising union awareness and supporting the Change the Rules campaign is considered.

SAlt supports the motion, but criticises the Change the Rules campaign. The speaker argues that the ALP has a history of undermining students.

The motion carries.

Honi Soit December 11, 201812:48 pm

The NUS condemns Anthony Albanese and the policy of boat turn backs

The motion passes with support from all but three liberal delegates. Unity supported the motion, to gasps of “what?!” from NLS.
Honi Soit December 11, 201812:45 pm
Against Albanese

A motion that condemns Anthony Albanese for supporting boat turn backs is considered. Speakers from SAlt and NLS condemn Albanese and the policy of boat turn backs.

SAlt states that the policy is supported and applauded by far right nationalist groups in Europe, and points to that fact as evidence of the policy’s repugnance.
Honi Soit December 11, 201812:38 pm

Campus reps

The RO announces new NUS campus representatives.
RMIT: Adam Flemming
Uni SA: Sage Tasman Jupe
UNSW: Shouan Bhattarai
UTS: Tyler Whitlam
VU: Hannah Elizabeth Nadin
National International: Zhang Wang (Alex)
Honi Soit December 11, 201812:28 pm

Watch out for paparazzi

Honi understands outgoing NUS Women’s Officer, Kate Crossin, has been named for taking photos, which is forbidden on the conference floor.
Honi Soit December 11, 201812:26 pm

Unity takes the podium to speak in support of penalty rates. The delegates praise Bob Katter for his support of penalty rates. SAlt takes the podium to criticise Bob Katter for his support of Fraser Anning. The motion fails.

Honi Soit December 11, 201812:16 pm

NLS and Unity 🖤 Flags

Will Edwards criticises Unity for their opposition to flags. “Who doesn’t like flags?” he queries. Who indeed. Unity votes in favour of the motion to support crane flags, which carries.
Honi Soit December 11, 201812:12 pm

NUS 🖤s Flags

A motion is moved by NLS supporting the right of workers to fly union flags from cranes on university campuses. The Australian National University recently intervened to prevent workers from flying union flags from cranes. The motion carries.
Honi Soit December 11, 201812:10 pm

USyd delegate Will Edwards (NLS) takes the podium to second a motion on NUS visibility at protests. The motion calls for the production of NUS branded flags to be used at protests and rallies. The motion passes, with Unity voting against.

Honi Soit December 11, 201812:03 pm

A bloc of motions is moved by NLS. The motions call on the NUS to support the Change the Rules campaign, the public services sector and the Go Home on Time campaign. The bloc passes.

Honi Soit December 11, 201811:56 am

Wrong person, sorry

SAlt accosts the media, including Honi, mistaking the observers for Grassroots Independents, who did not support a motion against Arts cuts at Monash University.
Honi Soit December 11, 201811:52 am

The motion on the unionisation of young and casualised workers passes.

Honi Soit December 11, 201811:50 am

A motion in support of unionising young and casual workers is considered. Speakers from SAlt and NLS speak in favour of the motion. The speakers speak with reference to the union movement that has developed at call centres like operated by companies such as Ipsos.

Honi Soit December 11, 201811:41 am

The bloc in support of spreading student unionism passes.

Honi Soit December 11, 201811:40 am

Friendly with the libs

State NSW President Connor Wherrett reminds the floor that he is holding the votes of absent USyd delegate, Lachlan Finch. He boasts that he can’t wait to “rub it in his face” when he tells him he used his votes to vote in support of student unionism.
Honi Soit December 11, 201811:38 am

A bloc of motions in support of spread of student unionism is considered. Speakers from various factions speak in support of extending NUS affiliation to unaffiliated universities.

Honi Soit December 11, 201811:33 am

Fuck yeah

There is a motion to allow the words “fuck” and “shit” and other variations of those words to be spoken on the floor. It is carried. Outgoing President Mark Pace reminds delegates that this allowance does not extend to all swear words.
Honi Soit December 11, 201811:28 am

A motion in support of the full-time employment of university coordinators passes.

Honi Soit December 11, 201811:20 am

A motion from NLS supporting Jason O’Mara and the CFMEU is considered. The motion passes.

Honi Soit December 11, 201811:17 am

The bloc in support of the NTEU passes.

Honi Soit December 11, 201811:14 am

Weird flex but ok

Unity shirts this year feature a quote from Bob Hawke on the back which reads:
“Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don’t exude morality.”
Honi Soit December 11, 201811:08 am

SAlt delegate Beth Jackson ejected

Outgoing President Mark Pace (NLS) informs the floor that proceedings cannot resume until Beth Jackson (SAlt) leaves the room. She has been named three times for disruptive behaviour during the UFU motion. Security escorts her out at a leisurely pace.
Honi Soit December 11, 201811:06 am

Solidarity with the National Tertiary Education Union

Motions moved by NLS and SAlt supporting the NTEU and staff strikes are considered en bloc. Delegates emphasise the relationship between staff teaching conditions and student learning conditions.
Honi Soit December 11, 201810:58 am

The motion in solidarity with the UFU fails.

Honi Soit December 11, 201810:57 am

Chaos

SAlt approaches the front of the room and begin to accost outgoing President Mark Pace (NLS). The fracas occurs after members of SAlt and NLS confront each other on the floor over the motion on the UFU.
Honi Soit December 11, 201810:53 am

Debate about the United Firefighters Union

SAlt and NLS spar over the treatment of the UFU by the Victorian Labor Government. SAlt stands in solidarity with the UFU, who have been accused by Labor of “bullying” for campaigning against Jane Garrett, a former Victorian ALP MP.
Honi Soit December 11, 201810:44 am

A bloc supporting the Shop, Distributive and Allied employees’ Association (SDA) passes with support of Unity.

Honi Soit December 11, 201810:31 am

The bloc, in support of Daniel Andrews and electoralism, fails.

Honi Soit December 11, 201810:30 am

What happened

Connor Wherrett takes the podium to speak against the “complacency” of NLS.
“You know who else was always going to win?” he asks. “Hillary!”
Honi Soit December 11, 201810:29 am

SAlt takes to the podium to speak against the bloc and admonish both Unity and NLS. The delegate accuses Daniel Andrews of Islamophobia.

Honi Soit December 11, 201810:27 am
NLS takes to the podium to speak against the practice of electoralism and in favour of lobbying.
“Unless Bill Shorten hits a child, he’s gonna be elected at the next election,” an NLS delegate declares. The delegate declares that the ALP is not perfect, and that efforts should be directed at reforming policy rather than campaigning.
Honi Soit December 11, 201810:26 am

It’s definitely not boot-licking

Several Unity delegates take to the podium to speak on a bloc in favour of Daniel Andrews and the practice of campaigning for the ALP in state and federal elections. The delegates talk about their “love” for the Victorian Premier and “sensible, pragmatic policies”.
“This Union should do one thing in the lead up to this election, and that’s elect Bill Shorten, Prime Minister of this country,” says one delegate.
Honi Soit December 11, 201810:19 am

Meeting open

The meeting is declared open at 10:15am.
Honi Soit December 11, 201810:19 am

Unity to Libs: we’ve got your back

Honi has been informed that two USyd delegates, Lachlan Finch (Independent) and Alexi Cassis (Unity), have both proxied their votes to Connor Wherrett, the Unity State Convenor for NSW.
Finch is a board member on the University of Sydney Union. He campaigned as an Independent, but is known to have colluded with and campaigned for the Liberals.
Honi understands Finch is currently on an officer cadet training program, and is not able to be contacted. It is unclear whether Finch had plans to attend NatCon at the time of his election in September.
Honi Soit December 11, 201810:14 am

Day 2

Welcome back to NatCon, day 2. We’re back in Building Q waiting for proceedings to begin.
The conference appears to be running relatively to schedule, which is certainly a departure from past events of the NUS. Delegates were informed that breakfast would not be catered due to “historically low levels of consumption”.
The morning’s events have already been telling. Honi caught a glimpse of delegates from SAlt and Unity, including USyd’s Lily Campbell and the outgoing General Secretary Jacob Cripps, sharing a few words earlier in the morning.
Honi Soit December 10, 201810:02 pm

Floor closes for the day

‘I Feel Voxish’ by The Fall serenades delegates and observers as they mill out of Building Q at Federation University. We’ll be back at 10am tomorrow with day 2 of NatCon 2018.
Honi Soit December 10, 20189:59 pm

Final motion for the day: report from Grievance Officer

Four minutes remain before the conclusion of the session. The Grievance Officer takes the podium to remind delegates that the withdrawal of consent to verbal communication must be respected.
Delegates are also reminded by the Grievance Officer that excessive noise on the conference floor poses a challenge to those with hearing impairments, and that delegates should remain mindful of these considerations.
Honi Soit December 10, 20189:56 pm

Motion to amend Union 3.16 to change the word “bipartisan” to “government” in the sentence, “NUS will work with the ACTU and other trade unions to organise national protests against the bipartisan attacks on workers and the draconian labour laws in the Fair Work Act.” Cries of shame from all in the direction of Unity. The amendment fails.

Honi Soit December 10, 20189:51 pm

Union 3.26 and 3.16 considered

The motions propose an end to unpaid internships and the defence of penalty rates and are moved by NLS and SAlt, respectively. USyd delegates James Newbold (NLS) and Lily Campbell (SAlt) take the podium to speak on each motion.
Honi Soit December 10, 20189:42 pm

Union 3.32 is considered, which condemns the actions of the Young Liberals at Queensland University of Technology. The motion supports the affiliation of QUT with the NUS.

Speakers from SAlt take the opportunity to admonish Labor, both Unity and NLS, for their history of allying with Liberals.
This year, Unity coordinated with Liberal and Liberal-adjacent factions in the USyd SRC to form a majority voting bloc.
The motion passes.
Honi Soit December 10, 20189:32 pm

BizCom scuffle

Beth Jackson (SAlt) climbs on top of the Business Committee table and is pulled down.
Honi Soit December 10, 20189:29 pm

Union 3.24 Frack off WA Labor passes

Cheers from the Grassroots/Independents bloc.
Honi Soit December 10, 20189:28 pm

Unity defends fracking

Unity takes the podium to speak against Union 3.24. The speaker congratulates the WA government for “investing in jobs”. The speaker professes to “love” fracking.
Unity bloc begins to chant “frack, frack, frack”.
Honi Soit December 10, 20189:25 pm

Union 3.24 Frack off WA Labor is considered

The motion is moved by Grassroots Independents. The faction’s delegates highlight the effect of fracking across Western Australia on Traditional Land Owners.
Unity takes the podium and labels NI a “scab” faction.
NI chant “land rights, not mining rights”.
Honi Soit December 10, 20189:19 pm

Union 3.12 passes

The motion is in support of the We Won’t Wait campaign, which has lobbied for paid domestic violence leave.
Honi Soit December 10, 20189:16 pm

The bloc fails, with SAlt and Unity voting against.

Honi Soit December 10, 20189:13 pm

Admin 2.12, 2.22 and 2.13 considered en bloc

2.12 focuses on the Affiliation strategy of the NUS, moved by NLS. The motion encourages the acceptance of KPIs imposed by affiliated unions.
2.13 seeks to make the process of conference registration easier and more transparent for delegates and observers.
2.22 proposes the implementation of an affirmative action policy which would ensure 50% of all members of governing bodies and committees identify as women.
Honi Soit December 10, 20188:58 pm

Admin 2.16 Against KPIs passes

Cheers from Unity. 1007 votes yes out of a possible 1842.
Honi Soit December 10, 20188:50 pm

All quiet in Building Q

The conference floor is uncharacteristically relaxed. Delegates and observers mill around while the campus count is underway. Proceedings have been stuck on Admin 2.16 for almost an hour now.
Honi Soit December 10, 20188:36 pm

Sorry, dad

Outgoing President Mark Pace (NLS) admonishes his own faction for disrupting the campus count with chants of “Unity sucks”.
Honi Soit December 10, 20188:27 pm

Refer to the graphic

Honi understands that the Business Committee has already indulged in some post-dinner motion eating.
Honi Soit December 10, 20188:22 pm

Stats

A few updates on the composition of the floor this year as we wait for the campus count to finish:
Compared to last year, Unity commands almost 10% less votes on the floor, down from roughly 45% to 35%.
NLS has seen an increase of nearly 13% from last year, up from roughly 16% to almost 29%.
Honi Soit December 10, 20188:16 pm

Update: a campus count has been called on Admin 2.16, meaning the individual number of votes each delegate represents (determined by affiliation fee and campus size) will be recorded to determine the outcome of the motion. Honi understands this is to ensure the coalition that voted for the motion is in fact in the majority.

Honi Soit December 10, 20188:09 pm

Admin 2.16 Against KPIs is passed.

Honi Soit December 10, 20188:03 pm

Outgoing General Secretary Jacob Cripps stands to speak in favour of SAlt’s motion. Just to clarify, Unity is siding with SAlt against NLS on Admin 2.16. Cripps admonishes NLS, questioning how trade unionists can support what he calls corporate policy.

Honi Soit December 10, 20188:01 pm

Desiree Cai (NLS) takes the podium to speak against Admin 2.16 Against KPIs. Cai emphasises the lack of accountability that has stifled NUS work – in her words, office-bearers “not doing their jobs”. Cai suggests KPIs are a potential solution.

Honi Soit December 10, 20187:56 pm

Anneke Demanuele (SAlt) takes the podium to speak on Admin 2.16 Against KPIs. The delegate delivers an impassioned speech against key performance indicators, citing the ongoing problems that have prevented ANU from accrediting to the NUS over the past several years (see Honi’s analysis of KPIs here).

Honi Soit December 10, 20187:40 pm

Business Committee will be comprised of Inez Meredith Penrose (Unity), Christopher Graham (Unity), Ella Lola Gvildys (Unity), Elizabeth Holly Jackson (SAlt), Alice Smith (NLS), David Lawrence Grover (NLS), Lincoln Aspinall (Grassroots/Independents).

Honi Soit December 10, 20187:33 pm

Evening session open

The evening session has opened at 7:28pm with an announcement from the RO and the election of the conference Business Committee following two late withdrawals.
Honi Soit December 10, 20184:47 pm

Quorum lapsed

Secretariat informs the floor, without the aid of a microphone, that quorum has lapsed. Delegates are instructed to keep an eye on @NusSecretariat on Twitter for instructions about when the conference will resume.

Honi Soit December 10, 20184:42 pm

B.B King rings out through the floor speakers. Less than five minutes to regain quorum.

Honi Soit December 10, 20184:28 pm

Rising pressure

A member of the Secretariat has informed Honi that delegates have already begun verbally abusing volunteer organisers. Almost 15 minutes have passed since quorum was lost, meaning 15 remain to regain quorum.

Honi Soit December 10, 20184:18 pm

Quorum has been lost

Quorum has been lost at 4:14pm after Grassroots/Independents leave the conference floor. It is understood some members of NLS will do the same.

Honi understands delegates are frustrated by the Pre-Conference Business Committee, 4/7 members of which are from Unity. The Business Committee decides upon motions to be brought to the floor.

The floor has 30 minutes to regain quorum.

Honi Soit December 10, 20184:06 pm

Bipartisan applause for the motion. No speakers against the motion. Unanimous support and the motion is carried.

Honi Soit December 10, 20184:04 pm

Admin 2.1, the NUS sexual harassment, assault and discrimination policy, is put to the floor. Outgoing General Secretary Jacob Cripps moves the motion, outgoing Women’s Officer Kate Crossin seconds.

Honi Soit December 10, 20183:57 pm

Motions 2.18, 2.19 and 2.20 – all administrative motions – are put to the floor for debate. The motions relate to the formatting of the Constitution, member organisation feedback and the NUS website.

Honi Soit December 10, 20183:51 pm

The Administration and Education chapters are to be debated following the Constitution chapter.

Honi Soit December 10, 20183:43 pm

Debate begins with discussion of a motion proposing alterations to the NUS constitution to amend the process of filling casual vacancies (CRBL 1.1). The motion passes.

Honi Soit December 10, 20183:34 pm

Keep it short

Speaking time has been limited by Business Committee to 2 minutes.

Honi Soit December 10, 20183:32 pm

Wash your mouth out with soap

The floor is reminded that swearing has been banned after outgoing General Secretary Jacob Cripps boasts “a big fuck off surplus”.

Honi Soit December 10, 20183:31 pm

Cameras off

As per usual, a motion banning filming on the conference floor has passed almost immediately.

Honi Soit December 10, 20183:26 pm

Multi-platform? Groundbreaking

We’re also following the conference on Twitter at @honi_soit.

Honi Soit December 10, 20183:18 pm

Conference floor opens

The conference floor has opened over an hour late at 3:15pm with a Welcome to Country.