Road Test: Net Porn

YOUPORN 5/10

If you’re going to get your fix online, you could do worse than YouPorn. Unlike the two sites below, it’s essentially democratic: i.e. it features uploads from the everyman, including many that fall under the blanket term ‘amateur’, which are of course inherently sexier than the many big budget offerings. That said, YouPorn can hardly be called progressive. Packaging-wise it’s grossly heteronormative and there’s really very little that will hit the switch for the more open-minded and/or sex-positive types.

PORNHUB 2/10

PornHub is really shit. It’s dominated by a genre of porn that is cliched and over-produced. However, if your thing is women being demeaned on camera then you’re going to love it. But lets be honest, those people don’t need to be introduced to this site. The reason it gets any points at all is because its slogan, above, makes the positive step of recognising that some women also look at porn.

REDTUBE 0/10

There is nothing here that you can’t find on the above two sites. Furthermore, the image thumbnails are in high resolution, as are most of RedTube’s actual clips, meaning the misogyny they portray is even more visible. Given that RedTube has no positive slogan ala PornHub, it scores zero.

One should not come to the conclusion from this analysis that there is no porn worth viewing. There is. So-called “female friendly” porn represents women with various levels of agency and can be found on all the sites above, if you look hard enough. There’s also a tonne of erotica operating well outside the confines of these semi-commerical sites. The search term ‘feminist porn’ is a start.