Best foot forward: Open Day puts the PR machine in overdrive

Thousands of year 12 students and their parents descended on Sydney University last Saturday as Australia’s premiere learning institution put its best on show at Open Day.

Prospective students received academic advice as well as sample lectures. The Faculties of Science and Engineering & IT, hosted popular hands-on activities which allowed visitors to make ice-cream with liquid nitrogen, play with robots and get a health check from the Sydney Nursing School.

The University of Sydney Union had a strong presence on the front lawns with a ChocSoc scavenger hunt and paint throwing from the Fine Arts Society. Project 52’s Tom Walker hosted an all-day show that drew a large crowd, including snippets of revues, gymnastics, and Theatresports.

Postgraduates were also catered for, with a four-hour expo in the Law School including career-focused lectures. SCA and the Con were represented with art and performances on the front lawns. The satelite campuses also held their own open days.

Future students were given showbags including brochures and a map, but Gabrielle from Kincumber High lamented the lack of signage. “I got lost quite a few times,” she said. Despite this, Open Day swung her in favour of Sydney University ahead of UTS and UNSW.

Josh, a year 12 student at Cherrybrook Technology High was also wooed, saying  that coming to Open Day had persuaded him away from Macquarie Uni for his Primary Education degree.

Though Open Day doesn’t reflect the campus in its everyday state, it is designed to sell the atmosphere and abundant sandstone that is the reason so many students choose Sydney. Much of the information could be easily found online, but the buzz generated by the activities and entertainment, not to mention the thousands of balloons dotted around campus, was what really seemed to win over prospective students.