‘I’m Not Racist But…’ at the Seymour Centre

INRB_2013

Racism in Australia is a perennial issue. Rants on public transport, run away comments on radio waves, slurs from sports people, asylum seeker hysteria, and stolen generation denial seem to have become part and parcel of everyday public discourse. And yet we profess to be a country steeped in equality and cultural diversity.

‘I’m Not Racist But…’ is an interactive forum comprised of four speakers hailing from diverse backgrounds: Geoff Lemon, Tasnim Saeid, Joelistics and Yatu Widders Hunt. The evening is hosted by triple j’s Alex Dyson, features a live performance by Radical Son, and includes an interactive audience-based Q&A.

‘I’m Not Racist But…’ is the first of an array of events hosted by the NSW Reconciliation Council as part of National Reconciliation Week 2013. Reconciliation Week is about Australians of all backgrounds exploring and celebrating our shared  histories, cultures and achievements. This year’s theme is ‘Let’s Talk Recognition’, with a focus on how Australians can better recognise each other, and recognise the contributions, cultures and histories of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

Other events include:

‘The C Word’: The Challenge and Necessity of Changing our Constitution:

Join Dr Tom Calma AO, Associate Professor Sarah Maddison and Professor Anne Twomey in a panel discussion on national identity, Constitutional change and the next steps for Reconciliation in Australia. Tuesday 28 May, 6pm, Law School Foyer – Free entry.

Schools Reconciliation Challenge Art Exhibition Launch:

Showcasing a selection of outstanding artworks by school students across NSW, based around the theme ‘Say Something’ and exploring the connection between reconciliation, identity and visual expression. Friday 31 May, 6pm, the Australian Museum – Free entry.

Commemoration Service:

Honouring Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Servicemen & Servicewomen. Friday 31 May, 11am, Hyde Park South.

‘I’m Not Racist But…’ will take place on Saturday 25 May at the Seymour Centre. 

Visit the website for more details.