A means to an end: Xiaoran Shi

Within these pages, death speaks in myriad voices: a female vigilante wearing the armour of a Roman goddess seeks retributive justice on page 7, a deeply personal account of euthanasia makes a compelling case for legalising assisted suicide on page 10, a visit to Graceland reveals how death has not hindered the evolution of an outstanding legacy, and the assassination of a beloved fictional personality is deserving of its own eulogy on page 14.

Once upon a time, the price of entry to the underworld was a single silver coin. Paid to Charon, the ferryman of the river Acheron, which separated the land of the living from the land of he dead, one had to literally bribe one’s way into Hell. Sparing no mercy, the Greek myth goes that Charon left the souls of those who could not afford the princely sum to wander along the river shores for a hundred years.

Meanwhile, sinners in Dante’s Inferno were subject to contrapasso, literally meaning “suffer the opposite”. False prophets, for example, were punished by having their heads twisted backwards to ensure that they could not look ahead into the future they so resolutely fabricated and promulgated in life.

In a bizarre inversion of contrapasso, USU Vice-President Tom Raue is facing likely removal from the Board for leaking information to Honi Soit from a confidential USU report that indicates collaboration between the University management and police, despite the University’s continued denial of any such collusion.

For seeking to uphold his election promise of increased Board transparency, the Board Exec has sought to ultimately silence him and further opacity within the organisation. Not a single student Board Director has commented on the record about the Special Consideration motion made to remove Raue, choosing instead to reiterate a united line of PR spin.

The meeting was also postponed when the Exec realised it had breached due process in its haste to indict Raue.

Students have a right to information that suggests the University is actively organising against them. In a year of industrial action against University management that has seen more than 11 students arrested and a number of others sustaining serious injuries, evidence pointing to collaboration between the two parties cannot be lightly dismissed.

Raue acted first and foremost in the interest of students and as a student leader of a student union, his attempt to inform students via the student newspaper about University conduct that directly contradicts its media stance should not met with the possibility of his own expulsion from the Board.

Xiaoran Shi

Xiaoran Shi

Xiaoran Shi is an editor of Honi Soit and currently in the fourth year throes of an Arts/Law degree. She once set her sights on writing the Next Great American Novel, but is now clinically half-blind.