2013 Federal election special: Tony Abbott etc.

Tony Abbott has cut short his tour of Sydney’s western suburbs to campaign for an immediate election in Victoria following the resignation of Liberal Premier Ted Bailieu. “It’s a matter of principle,” Abbott told The Soin, “this is now an illegitimate government.” “In politics, you have to be true to your convictions. You can’t apply…

the abbottbw

Tony Abbott has cut short his tour of Sydney’s western suburbs to campaign for an immediate election in Victoria following the resignation of Liberal Premier Ted Bailieu.

“It’s a matter of principle,” Abbott told The Soin, “this is now an illegitimate government.”

“In politics, you have to be true to your convictions. You can’t apply one standard at Federal level and an entirely different standard to an identical situation at State level.

“That would be rank hypocrisy,” he said.

Julia Gillard’s senior staff have reportedly been caught off guard by Abbott’s logically consistent approach, and have begun to question their own loyalties to the PM.

“Perhaps Julia’s leadership is illegitimate,” said one staffer, “perhaps we do need an election right now.”

Abbott’s commitment to the cause is being lauded as a political masterstroke in Canberra.

Sources close to the Opposition Leader have informed The Soin that Mr Abbott plans to maintain his momentum by publicly endorsing polyamorous marriage next week, in an attempt to wedge the Sydney University Greens.