Honi how-to: make haste while the moonshines

Samantha Jonscher turns water into whiskey

Now you too can legitimise your Prohibition Era fancy-dress

Like all great DIY projects in this modern age, making your homemade hooch starts with a visit to a place called the internet.  You will need an airlock (available on eBay for $3.50) and some yeast. The best value for money is StillSpirits Triple Distilled Turbo Yeast (available all over the web for about $10 a packet).

Next, get your hands on some juice. Any juice you like, as long as it has a sturdy plastic bottle and screw top. Nothing cardboard. Mango is a personal favorite; the sweeter it is to begin with, the better.

Just as bathtub gin has a tendency to blow up, this home brew has its downsides. To make sure you aren’t breeding the next zombie virus, sterilise your equipment.

Now for the fun part. For each litre of juice you will need 330 grams of white sugar. Pour about 100 millilitres of juice into a bowl and use a whisk to dissolve the sugar into the juice. If it’s not fully dissolved, it could stop fermentation.

Pour your sugar solution back into your juice bottle along with 15 grams per litre of yeast.

Seal your bottle with your newly purchased airlock and leave it to ferment for one to two weeks. You need your concoction to stay between 18˚C and 24˚C, so dark places are best.

When the day comes to drink your moonshine, use a strainer to remove any sediment from the bottom of the bottle. Aaand you’re done.

Congratulations, bootlegger! Enjoy at the speakeasy of your choice over ice, in a cocktail or with soda water.