SUDS Christmas Caucus: A Christmas Miracle

Sean O’Grady finds some holiday cheer in the Abbott government.

Christine Forster and her partner are 'married' by 'Cardinal Pell' (Source: Twitter @resourcefultype)

Political correctness was best left at the door. For anyone indifferent to Australian politics, university hacks, or oddly specific jokes about SUDS’ temporary eviction from the Cellar theatre, the show would not be worth the price of admission (two dollars). For the unlikely cliques that arrived from all corners of the campus, however, the experience was certainly unique.

The show’s themes were consistent: Abbott’s social conservatism, Labor’s complacency, and all the shit in between. A joke about Abbott’s sister Christine Forster proved significantly funnier with her attendance at the performance. Comedic approval was inferred from Forster’s decision to get drunk with everyone afterwards. She later sought the opportunity to be married to her partner, Virginia Edwards, by one ‘Cardinal Pell’.

Christine Forster and her partner are ‘married’ by ‘Cardinal Pell’ (Source: @resourcefultype)

The plot (a term loosely applied in this context) saw our esteemed Prime Minister visited by the ghosts of Caucus past, present and future. Thanks to momentous political machinations, Clive Palmer was elected President of the SRC and Gough Whitlam was resurrected from the realm of the politically dead. In a more natural turn of events, gay marriage provided catalyst for the creation of the Islamic Republic of Australiastan.

Directors Michael Koziol and Joseph Istiphan presided over a revue that, whilst anarchic, was often hilarious. Istiphan as Rupert Murdoch looked surprisingly at home in a Hawaiian shirt. Koziol as a caroling John Howard dreaming of a white country was hilarious. The man once described as a “human liquorice all sort”, undergraduate Senator and aspiring Liberace Patrick Massarani, was perhaps too comfortable in the robes of Cardinal George Pell.

Some in the audience were offended. Most laughed loudly and frequently. I would be lying if I told you that it was as slick as the wharf revue, but at times it proved as funny. Ultimately, the one night only exclusive show delivered on its part largely due to the efforts of the 10 people who came together and worked on it amidst exams and jobs. It affirms a tradition of irreverence of irreverence and hard work within the creative co-curricular of Sydney University. The best affirmation for the performers was, I am sure, the crowd that filled Hermann’s and drank and laughed and heckled.