SRC website, We help students

New college scholarships for Indigenous students introduced

The University is offering up to 12 all inclusive college scholarships for Indigenous students.

St John's College at the University of Sydney.

The University of Sydney (USyd) is introducing new college scholarships for up to 12 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students. 

The Gadigal Residential Scholarships Pilot Program will cover students’ accommodation, co-curricular activities and tuition costs.

The Women’s College, St John’s College and Mandelbaum House will offer these scholarships to students for the first three years of their degrees. International House will also participate in the program, offering two spots as part of the 2020 pilot.

The program is being jointly funded by the University, the colleges themselves and third party donors.

The initiative is intended to attract more Indigenous students to USyd. In addition, all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students who gain entry to the University will be eligible to apply for the scholarships, including those who have participated in the University’s various pathway programs. This also includes the 43 students across Australia who received early conditional offers from USyd’s newly introduced Gadigal Program.

Deputy Vice Chancellor (Indigenous Strategy and Services), Professor Lisa Jackson Pulver said that “we know Sydney is an expensive place to live, and that cost can be a real impediment to living here.”

“This program is designed to offer practical and holistic support and help ensure ambitious and achieving Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students are able to study at the University of Sydney – regardless of where they’re from, or their financial situation.

Students will be required to apply through the college websites, and application fees will be waived.